SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kb2755

Need Help with replacing my existing Central A/C

kb2755
12 years ago

I need some help from the pros on this forum. I live in NW New Jersey and will need to relace my 20 year old system as it is on its last leg. My house is a 4 bedroom 2 story colonial with approx 2200 sq ft. It is a modular home and when they installed the original unit they had to use flexible ductwork as the house has hot water baseboard heat. I think I paid around $5,000 in 1992 for the original system which is a Carrier. It has served me well throughout the 20 years but have had some issues recently. The air handler is located in the attic. I received two qoutes and would like some advice.

1ST QUOTE

Carrier Performance Series

Condenser # ACC636 36,000 BTU 3 Ton

Air Handler # FV-003 36,000 BTU

16 SEER

Replacement of new return duct included

Balancing of existing duct system not included

EDGE Ptogrammable Thermosta included

Removal of old equipment and Freon recovery by a certified mechanic according to EPA regulations.

10 year all materials & labor warranty on all equipment

Price $8318.00 which includes the JCP&L $500 rebate

2 Quote

Lennox Signature Series

Condenser # XC17-036

Air Handler # CBX40UHV-048

SEER up to 16.7

I-Comfort Theemostat included

New equipment to be adapted to existing ductwork,electrical,refrigerant lines and existing drain locations.

Existing refrigrrant lines to be flushed per manufacturers instructions with use of R-410 refrigerant.

Existing ductwork to be reviewed and resupported/sealed where necessary.

10 year manufacturer warranty on equipment and 1 year installer warranty

Price

$7541.00 including NJ tax

I can also receive the $500 JCP& L rebate of $500 which brings this to just over $7,000.00

Should the rrfrigerant lines be totallt replaced or is the flushing of the lines be sufficient?

Carrier sales person said there is no tax as is considered a home improvement, not sure why the second quote highlights this. I have noticed that others on this forum are also getting gas furnaces included at similar prices but I have no need as I have a boiler because of the baseboard heat. The boiler is original to the house which is a Crown Aruba and I am sure is not efficient because of its age. I guess the high pricing is due to where I live in NJ. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Condensor

Comments (4)