SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Bread Problem

lisazone6_ma
15 years ago

I made the oatmeal bread in the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes book yesterday. I made the bread right away, however, and didn't have it sitting in the fridge for days. I was trying to recreate another bread I like, however, so I did make some changes to the recipe. I didn't have wheat bran, so I substituted 1/3 cup of oat flour instead. Maybe I should have used all oat bran instead? I also used 1/2 cup honey instead of the maple syrup. The recipe called for 1 & 3/4 cups water and 1 cup of milk and I switched them - I used 1 & 3/4 cup milk and 1 cup water instead as I was looking for a rich bread. I also added 1/4 cup wheat berries, 1/4 cup steel cut oats, and 1/8 cup sesame seeds as I wanted a "nutty" hearty bread. And I let those soak in the milk to soften before incorporating everything, but I think I could have let them soak more as there were a few "harder" bits, altho I like that texture in my bread. Oh, and I only used 1/8 cup oil instead of 1/4 cup to cut the amount of fat.

It tasted delicious, however, it was very "flat". I made two free form loaves and put one in a bread pan. None of them rose very high. I like the taste and texture, as I said, however, what can I do to make the loaves rise higher? And was it my substitutions that maybe made the bread too heavy? For the first time, my bread had a nice crust on it tho so that was a good thing! I didn't use a stone, but I did put a pan underneath and added some water when I put the bread in the oven.

How can I incorporate the wheat berries and steel cut oats and other "nutty" "crunchy" additives to bread and make it work?

Lisa

Comments (10)