SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzy_gw

This forum worked a minor miracle in my kitchen. For free.

fuzzy
13 years ago

It's a tiny thing, it sounds ridiculous, but I want to express my appreciation.

I read here occasionally when I'm dreaming about kitchen renovations... we're about to get a new (restored vintage) stove, and of course that's the domino that begins the chain reactions of absolutely necessary changes in our kitchen. So I'm back, searching for subway tile backsplashes and musing about replacing our kitchen table with an island to create more space.

(Our house was built 1916, our kitchen's a combo of a 1940's farmhouse sink and some 1960's handbuilt cabinets. We're not looking to change those things, just work well with what's already there.)

I see that 36" is minimum walkway space, so I go get a tape measure to see what ours is around the table right now. As I'm scribbling measurements down and deducting 72" to allow for two pathways, I realize with a start that the island would need to be deeper than it is narrow... the exact opposite of how we have the rectangular table set up in the same space.

I take a deep breath and quickly rotate the table 90 degrees.

Friends, it's still not 36" that I have around the table's sides, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was, and it leaves room better for people to sit at the table while kitchen work is going on.

We've lived here for four years, stumbling over each other daily in the kitchen, and never thought to try that. FOUR YEARS. I have a graduate degree; I'm not stupid, and neither is my husband.

But you and your detailed chatter have made a real difference in my life tonight. I'm embarrassed we didn't think to try it ourselves, but still, thank you!

Comments (3)