SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonic888_gw

Minor Kitchen remodel - Advice needed

tonic888
16 years ago

I posted a year ago with some grand plan to do a more major remodel, but after much consideration I decided to scale things back and try to minimize costs. I want to preserve the kitchen I have now, but add onto it. This is mostly because we don't want to invest a ton of money into the kitchen since we will most likely move in 3 years and also its a decent kitchen right now, it just needs more storage space.

So here are the guidelines:

- Keep existing cabinets and granite.

- Add to blank wall. I need a pantry and a place to put micro.

- Consider adding some sort of island.

- No knocking out walls.

- I realize the fridge door is backwards, but I apparently can't change it because of the water dispenser.

- Can't move the microwave to be built in.

- I will add cabinet hardware.

I've marked off in blue tape where I would put cabinets (in my empty wall that has a cheap pantry I bought at target).

The blue lines are the cabinets I would add. I want to add a 24" wide pantry (would go to the ceiling or close to it) and a 30 or 36" wide drawer base cabinet and 42" wall cabinet. The 2 blue lines together show the difference between the 30" and the 36". I would have a counter top there that I would put the microwave on. I do have room to add more cabinets if necessary.

More pictures:

Secondly, I want to add an island or cart. I marked off the area it would go according to what I have read (island should have 3ft from other countertops). So, should I get something? If so, what?

Here are some island options:

So questions:

1) Will the cabinets be ok on that empty wall? Should I add more or less? I don't want it to look odd from the dining room, but realize it will block light for the door.

2) What kind of countertop would you put over on that wall? Get the same style granite and not care if it matches?

3) What should I put for the island? Or should I put nothing? What sort of top should the island have?

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (13)