SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

Inherited my mothers quilt studio - working on my first quilt!

babushka_cat
10 years ago

hi all,

i wanted to introduce myself. i have been very active in the kitchen forum, this is my first visit to this forum.

my mom was an avid quilter for the past 25 years but was in ill health for some time. she passed away this summer. i inherited the contents of her quilt studio and i am now getting my own studio set up in my house.

my mom taught me how to sew, i have good general sewing skills but relatively new to quilting. i knew she loved quilting but i had no idea how passionate she was about it. her room was filled with patterns and inspirations, notes and designs. it has been an emotional time sorting through all of her treasured quilting posessions. she left behind a lot of beautiful but unfinished projects, some of which i am going to attempt to complete (UFO's i think you call them?). in her will she left me a flower basket quilt but my sister and i were puzzled as we never recalled seeing it. as we cleaned out her studio we found it, it is an applique quilt that needs to be completed!!! so this is my first quilt to try! i am very lucky to have received her Bernina 440 QE, nice
sewing desk, very large stash of fabric, patterns, a Singer Featherweight and who knows what else, am still sorting.

i miss her so much but think she would be happy to know i am getting interested in quilting.... hum, maybe that is why she left the quilt unfinished!!! mom's are soooo smart....so that is my story. i look forward to getting to know all of you and swapping stories...

thanks for listening...

babushka -cat

Comments (20)