SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Wrong size capacitor installed. Advice?

homeagain
15 years ago

We hired this company in March to repair our heat pump, which wasn't working. They replaced the capacitor. The unit stopped working again last week. I called the number listed for them for several days, with no answer. After some research I have found that they have since gone out of business.

I called another company to come and repair the unit. The unit is a Ruud and has a reset button. The repair guy pushed the reset button waited 15-20 minutes to see if it was cooling, then left. About an hour later I noticed it wasn't getting any cooler, went outside and the unit had stopped working again. I pressed the reset and it started up. Same thing a little while later. I called the company back told them what was happening and the guy came out again.

He found that the old company had replaced the capacitor with a new capacitor in the wrong size. A 5 instead of a 3?? This new capacitor was causing the motor to work too hard, overheat and shut down. The guy from the new company replaced the capacitor with the correct size and the unit seemed to work, however was making a "rattling" sound. The repair guy stated that the bearings may have gone bad as a result of the wrong capacitor and I should probably try to get a hold of the old company and make them fix it.

About an hour after he left, it stopped again. However, this time when I press restart, it "makes noise" but the fan doesn't spin. So after all this, the unit still isn't working.

When I do a google search of the old company, there is a direct link to a large contractor here in the area that the hvac company was affiliated with. I've called them twice and emailed the president of the company, but no response.

I'm also ambivalent about the work done by the second guy. We paid for a service call but the unit still doesn't work. What exactly does the diagnostic fee of $135 cover?

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!