SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

replace one radiator with hydronic radiant

homebound
11 years ago

I'm looking at a small bath renovation job (marble). Client wants the radiator replaced with hydronic radiant (not electric). Is this feasable for only one small bathroom on a second floor? My first HVAC guy says "just do electric", but client doesn't want it. They currently have hydronic radiant on the first floor only. House was built in the 20's.

Can the existing radiator pipe be used to somehow supply the radiant line from the basement. Does it even make sense to add radiant to the 3 x 5 walkable portion of a 5 x 8 bathroom? If so, to get enough heat, would it be run below the subfloor or be embedded in a built-up mortar floor?

Current radiator is approximated 14" wide, 16" tall column radiator (water). I appears to be supplied separately by 1.5" copper, as I recall.

It's an old spanish-style stucco house built in the mid-20's. And the basement ceiling where pipe runs up to the radiator is very difficult to get at.

Thanks much.

Photo shows the first floor's set-up (for the kitchen, mostly, which has hardwood flooring..

This post was edited by homebound on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 11:00

Comments (3)