SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelellen_gw

Picnic Side Nibbles

rachelellen
14 years ago

Ruthanna has a great thread going about tea sandwich picnics and it got me thinking about what goes with sandwiches or other picnic fare. Of course, it's nice to have a salad or other side dishes, but I'm talking about the little, nibbly things...pickles, savory bites etc.

I love to have good cucumber pickles, either traditional dill or sweets or a quick, rice vinegar pickle my Japanese "Mom" taught me to make. For these, you chunk pickling cukes (I like to leave the peel on), put them in a jar with rice vinegar, sugar, salt and a few dried red chilis, and leave them in the fridge for a few days before eating. They're wonderfully crunchy, sweet and sour.

Olives of any kind are terrific too, whether fancy Italian or Greek or the simple, canned black olives of my childhood.

Another nibble from childhood were radish flowers. Cut cross hatches in radishes (you leave the root on as a handle) and put them in water to "bloom" in the fridge a few hours before. Also, green onion tassels...leaving the bottom of the onion intact, you cut off the dark green part and reserve it for another use...then, slice the several inches of pale green part into thin ribbons, which also curl up after a couple of hours in iced water. We always had those with celery sticks and carrot curls, just sprinkled with a bit of salt or with a dip my Mom made which was something like 1000 Island dressing. Nowadays, I also like to have some za'atar, celery salt or an olive oil/balsamic dip along with other raw veggies and chilled, boiled red potatoes but sometimes I stick with simple salt.

Spiced nuts are another favorite nibble. I toast a variety of raw nuts in a very small amount of oil and then toss them with popcorn salt, chaat masala or curry seasonings. Lately I've been making home made "smoked" nuts, soaking the nuts in liquid smoke & water overnight before toasting them and tossing them in popcorn salt.

One other childhood snack I can ONLY eat on a picnic for some reason, is tinned sardines in mustard sauce on saltine crackers.

What kinds of "nibbles" are in your picnic traditions?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH