SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What Are Your Favorite Party Nibbles?

plllog
9 years ago

I hope you all can help me. I'm in the planning stages of a party for up to four dozen people in half a year. If I don't start now, I'll never pull it off. I'd like to do it open house style, where people can wander around and graze. I'm all set on crudites, dips, chips, etc., plus fruit and dessert, but I'm trying to think of hot bites that please people, which can be made ahead and frozen, and heated on the night. Served buffet style on the dining table, with the dip stuff on the coffee table, and drinks in an adjoining room.

So far, I have borekes (like spanikopita--filo wrapped spinach pies, as well as cheese filled), stuffed puffs (chou pate), and gluten-free, mushroom stuffed, arancini (rice balls), but that sounds like three versions of the same thing. ;) I'm looking for something that isn't some kind of filled pastry. I would love to do something like sfingi (ricotta balls), but I don't think it would work under these circumstances.

I'm also going to do meatcubes in sauce (meatballs that don't fall off the plate and look fun). And I was thinking of fried wing drummettes (to please certain guests), if I can figure out a good recipe that will freeze and oven heat well. I can't see frying them on the day...

Caveats: I'm allergic to fish, so don't cook it, but I'd be happy to include a cold fish dish if you have a great one, and I would prefer to stay away from coconut, mango and papaya for the same reason. This won't be a kosher meal, per se, but there will be people who will only eat the dairy/fish/vegetarian because they keep kosher. No pork or seafood or dishes that are meat and milk together.

So, given all that... what are your favorites? Or even your favorite flavors? How do you feel about skewers vs. plates?

Comments (29)