SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Wheat flour substitute?

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

Ok, I tried searching, but now I just might be more confused.

I have a dog with discoid lupus which affects her nose and eyes. Her black nose is now pink & sore. Her eyelids are swollen and bleed when I wipe out the giant eye boogers. We got some ointment for her eyes today and are changing her prednisone dose. I am also going to try her on a grain free diet to see if that helps. I can get a grain free food here easily, but I have almost always baked her treats.

Can I just substitute something else for the flour I use? The treats have oatmeal, wheat flour, unbleached flour, powdered milk, meat "crumbles" (leftover meats, ground and dried/toasted in the oven), salt, oil, egg, & water or broth. What would I use in place of the flours?

I'm also a little confused as to what is considered grain and what's not. I'm not sure if the potential benefit for her is avoiding the grains that are common allergens for dogs or if it's a more extensive grain list? Is the oatmeal likely to be bad?

I realize that my questions are only partially on-topic (it really did start out as a baking question) but I know there are very knowledgeable people here about many food-related subjects. I would really appreciate your advice.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor