SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyyanks_gw

Can anyone recommend a good skin care line?

jyyanks
14 years ago

I've never really used anything on my face except soap and water. However, in the last few months, I've noticed that my skin just looks bad. I've been breaking out like crazy and I can see pores all over my face. I am looking for a good facial care line, specifically, I'm looking for an anti-aging toner and a moisturizer.

I was tempted to try the Cindy Crawford line from the infomercial but it didn't get too many good reviews. I also looked at Bliss "Youth as we know it" which got decent reviews but does not seem to work for oily skin (My skin is dry in the winter and oily in the summer)

All that being said, can anyone recommend a skin care line that they love?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (40)

• Sueb20
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I really like Neutrogena products. When I went to a dermatologist a couple of years ago complaining about a combination of aging skin and "mature acne," he told me to try Neutrogena and never to spend more than that on skin products because it's not worth it. Lately I've been using the "anti wrinkle - anti blemish" cleanser because I'm 44 years old and still break out! It is sooo not fair.

• jyyanks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sue. I used the Neutrogena soap when I was younger but never thought of them for anti-aging! I feel your pain regarding "breaking out". When I was a teenager, I was so lucky because I had a pretty smooth complexion. Good things come to an end because fast forward 20 years later and I am breaking out like crazy. Every time I turn around there is a new pimple. I will look into that cleanser you mentioned above.

• Related Discussions

Can anyone recommend a good string trimmer.......help!

Q

Comments (2)
    The 200.00 range Echo gets my vote. I have had one since approx 2002 and it still lives up to the Add of starting on the 2nd pull. 1. I had duel line but I only used one w/o a problem. 2. I had to do my part to get this service by treating my 50:1 fuel with Staybil with Ethanol fuel 3. I have checked the plug and cln the filter w/o replacing them. Cheap Me. LOL 4. A straight shaft is my recommendation, saves the back which means ck HeadâÂÂs grease in 4-5 yrs. 5. All is original except the string, I use the strongest I can find due to not mastering, not breaking.
    ...See More

Who knew? Kohls has skin care products! (attn: rosacea sufferers)

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't know, Nicole; I never questioned it, had never been told it was life-long, either. I'm 62 now with no redness, but I still get a huge pimple or two or three in clusters that put me in panic mode every couple months. My doctor warned me that menopause might cause a recurrence, but fortunately it didn't - but I didn't have hot flashes, either, or need any hormone replacement therapy. I was 55 when menopause began, 57 when done. As I said in my first post, I was unable to use anything to hide or control it. I had a hideous pizza face (and neck) that I was terribly conscious of for eight years. I had an official diagnosis from a dermatologist because my doctor (who is still my dr and aware of my history) sent me to the derm because I was pregnant, hoping the derm's expertise might be useful. He had nothing in his arsenal for a pregnant woman with rosacea at the time, but that was way back in the early 80s. My 34 yo son and 41 yo dtr had major bouts of acne in their teens and twenties. The same dermatologist who couldn't help my rosacea helped their acne tremendously. My dtr remains clear skinned at 41, but my poor son still has bouts of acne now and then, and pock marks, but he does not have rosacea according to his derm. He is treated for adult acne. Sherry
    ...See More

Can anyone recommend a good satin polyurethane?

Q

Comments (6)
    Another vote for Glitsa. Really great stuff. We used a matte finish in the new house, and really like it. Had our grandkids here for a month, and not a scratch. Highly recommend it. (fridge isn't really blue, we hadn't taken the protective film off yet) Here is a link that might be useful: Glitsa Floor Finish
    ...See More

Any good recommendations for firming and plumping skin

Q

Comments (33)
    Holly Kay, there are places that allow you to return product you are not happy with. You might order one from one of them (Blue Mercury is one) and then look for the best price if you want auto-delivery after that. You won't be out anything other than the return postage i you don't like it and the price difference one time as insurance if you do like it. A lot of places will make you a sample if they don't have samples to give you --- but that means a store you can go into. I reccently saw a Blue Mercury when I was travelling and picked up two samples while I was there. Sephora and some places that sell Philosophy will do that, but it doesn't hurt to ask for a sample anywhere and see if they have one or can make you one.
    ...See More
  • bettymnz4
    14 years ago

I also use Neutrogena products. They have facial cleansers for different needs.

I use their products for makeup, too. (Except they don't have a lipstick that I like, or mascara.)

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

My massage therapist gave me some samples to try of Arbonne. I was skeptical, but tried it anyway, and well, gotta say, it changed my mind. I don't usually endorse those types of things, but this stuff was good for my skin.

I have very sensitive skin, even Oil of Olay is too tough at times, but this stuff really rehydrated my skin, and made me glow. So I ended up buying the line! It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way, and I love it.

• bodiCA
    14 years ago

www.zerozits.com
    First go to Sage Advice Skin Care website, click on "Acne Detective" and print. Then take the print out to check the products in your home right now to narrow down what is irritating to your skin. Take to the store and use as a guide line for new items. Soon you will learn what your skin does and doesn't like. I have no connection to this business but her free education offered on the website certainly helped me and I have use her skin care for years with great pleasure. You only use a pea size drop of her products so they last, keep in the refrigerator, only cool water on your face and ice often. Everyone deserves healthy skin!

• les917
    14 years ago

Merle Norman, if you have one near you, still has the best basic skin care. When I worked in and managed a couple of the studios, we had dermatologists sending their patients to us for skin care.

You can try before you buy, as well as have an in-studio lesson on skin care. Also, they stand behind their products, and you can return them even after you have used them.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

One thing: try to avoid anything with parabens, if you can. Burt's Bees acne solutions (and their other lines) always get good reviews, and I have to say I was amazed by a toner I tried from them recently. I'm very sad it will be gone. But they make a tomato toner that is good for oily/troubled skin. I didn't consider them a company for serious skincare until I tried the wild lettuce toner and I think now I'll be getting many momre things from their line.

Here is a link that might be useful: there are reviews to read, and the prices are good there too

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I have tried many moisturizers (high end to low end) and without doubt Burts Bee Primrose night cream is the best I have ever used. I think the cost is about $14.00 a jar, it's wonderful.

My 89 year old mother would die before she went to bed without moisturizing and she uses it too. And she has the skin of a young woman.

....Jane

• tinam61
    14 years ago

My dermatologist years ago recommended Cetaphil as a cleanser. When I asked her about anti-aging products, one thing she recommended (for my age) is glycolic acid products. I use a moisturizer that contains glycolic acid. My skin looks pretty youthful - I think I get that from my grandmother, who at 93 still is a pretty woman with few wrinkles. My skin is dry though where hers is not. The Cetaphil is very gentle and non-drying (my skin is somewhat sensitive also), but there is a formula for oily skin also.

I have never had a problem with acne - as a teen or an adult, but I'm thinking the glycolic acid might help with that also.

Another must for antiaging is SUNSCREEN. Used religiously. When those newer formulas came out this year - I bought one for faces I think it is 70 or 80 spf and it also contains ingredients to help reverse sun damage. I think the one I bought might be Neutrogena.

tina

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I think Cetaphil is great, but take a look at the product reviews on Makeupalley.com. These are people who are obsessed, in a good way, and you can sort responses by age, skin type, color, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Makeup alley

• natal
    14 years ago

My mom would have agreed with Les. She used Merle Norman most of her life. When she died at almost 92 her skin was still remarkably almost wrinkle free. I think the last 10 years of her life she switched to Clinique products.

I'm 56 and still get the occasional break out. I use Oil of Olay's foaming wash for sensitive skin and Estee Lauder's DayWear Plus for combo skin.

• kimberlyrkb
    14 years ago

I like Paula's Choice products - I use a BHA liquid at night, and an AHA gel each morning. And religiously use sunscreen in the morning instead of moisturizer, as I have melasma, and it darkens horribly with any sun exposure.

• bodiCA
    14 years ago

I like learning what is in the product to causes me trouble. The way companys change hands and formulas, I can't keep up, but I can read the label. Makes trying many brands more fun just making sure my no no's are not there.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with Kimberly! Paula's Choice products are fantastic. Paula's website is a great resource for skin care info too. Her line features fragrance & irritant free products for all skin types.

Kim, I use the the BHA & AHA products too! I especially like the BHA, as it wards off both zits AND wrinkles, lol! Also like you, I use her sunscreen (moisturizing spf 30) everyday, & have for over a decade, as I am very fair-skinned & have had skin cancers in the past.

I buy other companies' products as well, based on Paula's reviews of them. I love a lot of things by Clinique. Paula gave good reviews of much of the Boots line, sold at Target, so I picked up a few of those products recently & love them too! Boots' "Expert Sensitive" line is every bit as good as many Clinique products. I really love the scrub & the foaming face wash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paula's website

• Oakley
    14 years ago

For daytime I use Estee Lauder's Resilience Lift Extreme, which is a firming moisturizer and makes my face feel great.

At night I use Arbonne..one of their creams for the eyes.

I'm pretty happy with both.

• jyyanks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks so much. So many choices, now I have to figure out what works for my skin. I went to the store today and the woman at the counter seconded bodica as she said that I should test out the products first for a month to figure out what works/doesn't work. My skin does tend to be sensitive. I can pick up Burt's Bee, Neutrogena and Cetaphil and Boots in my pharmacy tomorrow. I'll also check out Arbonne (I tried to go to the site but it must be down), Paula's Choice (love that they have sample sizs), Merle Norman (the studio locater has one very close to me though I can't picture the store in my head) and Sage advice (I couldn't find acne detective but I read the reviews).

I tried Oil of Olay and Estee before but both made me break out. Thank you all so much the recommendations.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I buy Walgreens' brand of cleanser, which is the generic version of Cetaphil. It's several dollars less expensive than the name brand.

I've spent a "small fortune" trying different lines, but find that my skin seems to do best with my "faux Cetaphil", an exfoliating cleanser, and my prescription Differin. I also really like RevaleSkin's day (w/SPF) and night lotions. I originally bought these from my dermatologist's office, but found them online for much less $. It definitely pays to shop around!

• les917
    14 years ago

Be sure that you don't mix products, either. When you are trying out a company's line, don't use one company's soap and another's moisturizer, for example. That can get you into trouble as they are not formulated to work together.

If you decide to try Merle Norman, call and schedule a skin care lesson, and be sure to tell them you have sensitive skin issues. I am guessing they may start with the original "three steps' products - a cleanser, Miracol, and a protective base layer.

Whatever you do, have fun!

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

I've used Neutrogena products for years and love them. They're relatively inexpensive and do the job.

As a teen, I started going to a dermotalogist at sixteen and went until I was thirty. I went weekly until I found my last dermatologist in my early-20's. He was one of the best in the country (he still is if he hasn't retired) and, with him, I FINALLY found a regime that worked without fail . . . and that anyone can follow at home, using only inexpensive skin care products you can easily find at Target or the like. This is the regime he taught me and it works. I've been using it for over 25 years and can vouch for it! It's worked for many teens I've told and with my brother's adult acne. His cleared up within a couple of weeks.

* Keep your hands off your face! Try not to lean your face on your hand while reading or resting. Most people have no idea how much they touch their faces and lean on their hands during the course of a day.

* Handling money, some foods, cleaning products, etc. can transfer germs and other irritants to your face. Wash your hands and face often when using anything that might do this.

* Many people, myself included, can get breakouts from rough fabric, including wool, polyester blends and the like. Apparently, these fabrics have fibers that lay flat but also ones that stick up and, in doing so, irritate your pores, causing break-outs. Even a low thread count cotton, such as a pillow case, can do this to me. Rubbing my face with a poly-blend cloth would do this. Terrycloth doesn't, but those microfiber cloths will.

* leaning your face against some fabrics or vinyl, such as some throw pillows can cause your skin to sweat more than usual, resulting in breakouts.

* If you do get a zit or bumps, don't pick at them and use a good drying cream on it, but not on your entire face. Over-drying your face can cause more break outs. I use Clearasil myself, but there are other equally good, inexpensive ones out there.

* Keep hair products off your face. If you use a hair conditioner or other moisturizing product, a mousse or get hair spray, etc. on your face, ALWAYS use a facial scrub, a wipe (such as a Clearasil pad)or good old soap and water immediately after, to get the residual off your face.

* use a mild facial scrub to exfoliate your skin at least 2-3 times a week. I use St.Ives for this. Again, great product that doesn't cost a lot of money.

* After washing your face ~ mornings, after work or school and before bed~ ALWAYS use a good, non-pore clogging moisturizer. He told me that if you don't add back the moisture, your face will go into overdrive to produce it's own: hence the oily skin and clogged pores. I use Neutrogena for this.

* Use a good, non pore-clogging sunscreen. Your face will thank you for it as you age. My skin looks at least ten years younger because he started me doing this way back when.

* Many people, myself included, can get breakouts from the perfumes in make-up or cologne. Keep them off your face, neck and back.

* I don't have this problem, but most back acne is caused from moisturizing products, such as hair conditioner, hair spray and/or irritationg fabrics getting on your back and irritating your skin. A backbrush in the shower is a great thing to use after washing your hair if you have this problem. So is checking out what you're wearing.

* If you use a foundation, make it a light one that says specifically that it's noncomedogenic.

* If you use a blush, make it a powder one instead of a possibly pore-clogging cream blush. Again, look for the non-C label on it.

Ayhoo, these are some of the many things to consider when looking for reasons you're breaking out. I've been following his regime for many, many years now and have had no break-outs . . . unless I don't do one of the above, that is! I had my now-25 y/o son follow this regime when he was a teen and it kept his teen acne to a bare minimum. It's working with my 15 y/o DD now . . . except that I still haven't gotten through to her that her forehead acne is due to her constantly brushing aside her bangs. The rest of her face is totally clear and she's never had a problem anywhere but her forehead. Teens!
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Bath oils, bubble bath products, some but not all moisturizing soaps, highly perfumed soaps or ones made to act as a deodorizing soap can also irritate your skin as well. I've used Dove soaps for many years without any problems. BTW, I don't work for any of the companies whose products I've mentioned and don't know anyone who does. These are just things that I've found that work for me.
    Lynn

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

A little off topic, but I read in Sundays paper that soy will reduce fine facial line lines. I snack on edamamae but am going to up the amount.

I do really like Paula Begouns website and books and follow the advice and recommendations she gives. My tiny library carries many of her books. Such eye openers.
    I have not bought any of her products only because I haven't gotten around to it but I would try hers before something more expensive.

Also, snuggling with a dog under your chin can cause poison ivy all over your neck and face. Again! Ughh!!

I had adult acne until I was forty- it was terrible in my twenties- and found diet helped more than anything. Not so much what I ate but getting nutrients from food sources.

• jyyanks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Excellent advice Lynn. I have never used an exfoliator or moisturizer which probably explains where I am now. Some of the stuff on your list I do without even realizing it (like putting my hands on my face or neglecting sunscreen)

I appreciate the good advice and the different recommendations from everyone. It's so interesting to see what works for everyone.

Maybe I should eat more edamame too - that's not such a bad idea - I'll try anything to get rid of wrinkles :)

• bodiCA
    14 years ago

Excellent Lynn, that is excellent advice and well writen! May I add, when cleaning house, I like to wear lite gloves to remind me not to touch my face until after washing. Check the products you use on anything you must touch also. Great you mentions things like pillow cases, I like baby detergent like Dreft or Method, and still rinse with vinegar to have as pure as possible. Shampoos and conditioners are a big problem, be sure to read the labels. Vinegar is good to final rinse your hair also. The very best exfoliator is baking soda, very gently used all over, and I do seriously mean very gently. You won't believe how smooth you can be, it costs so little and also seems to calm irritated skin. I keep in air/water tight container in the shower/bath, I think I like it better than Epsom, not sure I know what Epsom does, but a Baking Soda scrub is dramatic!
    Corona Ointment found at Tack and Feed stores, is the very best product for working hands and feet And beautiful healthy finger nails. When taking accutane I use on my lips with amazing possitive results.
    Edamame is fabulous any time, any reason, also Flax seed/oil. Great info in this thread, well done!

• flyingflower
    14 years ago

I'm allergic to most everything. What I have found that my skin will tolerate is made by a company called Pharmaceutical Specialties. Their line of Vanicreams and "Free & Clear" cleansers are the best....all free of parabens (preservatives), dyes, fragrance, lanolin,etc. so they're not toxic to the skin. I use Dove Unscented as my bath soap. Avoid anything with a fragrance.

For cosmetics I recommend Jane Iredale:
    "Jane Iredale line contains no oil to clog or enlarge pores and no talc, which can dry the skin. Each product is free of perfume, alcohol, chemical additives and artificial dyes."

If you find your skin has become too dry before resorting to creams try Omega 3-6-9 supplements instead. Flax oil is also good. My skin was as dry as a lizard but not anymore, now that I'm taking Omega 3 capsules every day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dermstore.com

• flyingflower
    14 years ago

Click on link to see a list of top 10 Toxic Ingredients to Avoid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic Ingredients

• Boopadaboo
    14 years ago

That is a good list Flyingflower. I had not thought to try burts bees.

Anyone else hae an organic line they recommend?

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Wow! Thank you for this thread. I am going to try out suggestions!

RE: breaking out . . .this certainly does not apply to everyone, but for me, it was completely hormone related. I started getting pimples when I was EIGHT. 8! My teacher couldn't believe it and thought I had chicken pox (it was not fun to say, no, it's . . .acne). Thankfully, I never had widespread acne (the kind that leaves scars) but I always had pimples. On prom night, I had a gorgeously huge cystic pimple. Sigh.

Anyway, in my 20s (still getting pimples), I took birth control that was formulated to help with acne. The first month I broke out horribly-- complete with cystic pimples. By the 3rd month, my skin cleared and a decade later, it is fine! Prior to that, I'd tried so, so, so many things, inc. RX meds (not Accutane). This was the only thing that worked. I didn't take it for longer than a year, too, so it wasn't something I had to stay on forever.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Over the course of neatly ten years I became aware that aspartame gave me cystic acne. I was a heavy diet coke drinker and when I would stop (usually on a health kick) the acne would return. Eventually I tested this theory with other foods and paid close attention to all aspartame in foods and when I would get break outs. This was happening to a coworker too and made me aware of the correlation.

For the last 13 years I have not had any aspartame or splenda, particularly diet soda.

If I have even the smallest amount I will get a cystic pimple within 3 days.
    I guess this is all fyi for those whom it might effect.

• hhireno
    14 years ago

Related to Lynn's great advice:
    Years ago, just as my nephew's entered the dating age I told them NOT to touch a girl's face. So often on tv or in movies they show the man caressing the woman's face. I said I don't know why it's portrayed as romantic but no one wants someone else's dirty hands on their face. It's not romantic, it's disgusting. Keep your hands off your own face and certainly off your girlfriend's. (Since I'm not their mother I didn't get into all the other places their hands don't belong - that was her job)

I have sensitive skin and get so annoyed that exposure to an irritant can be so brief yet it takes sooo loooong for the reaction to clear.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I don't know why it's portrayed as romantic but no one wants someone else's dirty hands on their face. It's not romantic, it's disgusting. Keep your hands off your own face and certainly off your girlfriend's.

I keep my own hands off my face, but unless the Ebola virus is going around, I'll take my chances with a good romantic clutch anytime.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Gotta agree with Graywings! A gentle facial caress is sweet, not disgusting IMO.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I would love it if dh would hold my face in his hands and look deep into my eyes....but other body parts seem to capture his attention more !

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I just got home from taking my son to SFO to fly to Spain for a year of study abroad, and on the way home I stopped in Berkeley to see an old school friend who I have recently reconnected with via Facebook. She and her husband make organic skin care products and it was fascinating to see all the natural ingredients that go into them. They had pots of things bubbling away that will eventually be distilled and incorporated into their products. She sent me home with some products and I will report back on how I like them.

• snagd
    14 years ago

Agreed on the Aspartame!!!

• User
    14 years ago

Lynn - What sunscreen do you use on your face?

I've enjoyed reading these.

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

Sheesharee, I use Neutragena's UltraSheer Dry Touch on my face. I'm still so paranoid about clogging my pores and this one works great for me. It has a 55-SPF. They also have a good Ultimate Sport with a 70 SPF for when I swim.
    Lynn

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Uhmm, I'm usually amused by those who apologize for simple typing errors or misspelled words but now I want to rewrite my horrendous last post on aspartame.
    The aspartame, after nearly ten years of observation, was the cause of the acne and is now banned from my life.
    I feel better now.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

side note: As a recovering theatre professional, I can tell you the hands-on-face or hands-through-hair (UGH in this house every time we see a "mom" or "dad" doing that to a "child" we scream LOL) is a well-reviled "indicating" schtick. It's actor-shorthand for intimacy between two people who didn't know each other before they got their gigs, because they can't communicate their characters' relationship any more imaginatively. Good actors don't need it.

• jyyanks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG - didn't even think pimples could be related to something like splenda. I may have to cut that out of my diet.....

• sedeno77
    14 years ago

For the past 18 years I have used NeoStrata 15AHA face cream plus. I swear by this product. I have used tons of different products but by far this is one is a keeper. I am 54 and have very little wrinkles. Now, if someone could recommend something for the double chin, I would be grateful!
    I also use L'Occitane products and I am really pleased with their anti-aging line.