SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Oncologists arrest, scary stuff

User
10 years ago

I don't know if anyone here has heard about this story but on 8/5/13, Dr. Farid Fata a well known Hematologist & Oncologist was arrested in Oakland County, MI for fraud with Medicare, misdiagnosing cancer patients and over treating patients with cancer.

This man was my husband's oncologist and it is so surreal to see him in the news, read the charges laid out against him and having to go to the FBI to get my husbands medical records.

It was his own staff who turned him in and after reading the formal charges and depositions, I was haunted by how much of it rang true with us. As a couple, we've never been the victims of a robbery or a violent crime, but right now we feel very violated. The new Oncologist we went to on Friday said he didn't want to bash Dr. Fata, but it was obvious that my husband was over treated and abused by the treatments prescribed by this doctor.

Fata told us my husband would need chemo treatments for life which apparently is not the case. My husband was treated with chemo and blood treatments unnecessarily for over 8 months. The new doctor confirmed he's in full remission, otherwise very healthy (thank GOD) AND no more chemo is necessary. We were also scheduled for a PET scan to be done at the doctors new radiology clinic which isn't even needed for people with his type of cancer but would have cost us 700.00 in co-pays alone.

Personally, I feel very grateful that he was caught and my husband is going to be okay. There are hundreds of people who unfortunately can't say that. However, at the same time I'm furious and highly emotional. Because of this f*****g doctor, I've spent the past year worried sick about my husband and watched someone I adore suffer through the treatments. I've been working two jobs to pay for his treatments and worried constantly about how we would continue to pay them in the future. We basically lost a year of life together because we were both so exhausted and disconnected from anything normal. My husband literally fought to go to work every day and constantly worried he'd eventually loose his job because of all the time needed for the treatments and doctors visits. It took 3 months for him to reach remission, and the rest of it was ALL completely unnecessary. Now add the financial theft from our insurance, the Lymphoma & Leukemia foundation and us all so he could live in a mansion and have millions of dollars in the bank. It's just sickening.

I don't know why I'm posting this, I guess I just want to share, vent or make people aware. He came to us highly recommended by the practitioner we were seeing at the time but I've since learned he's had 3 malpractice suits w/in the past 3 years, was not able to get credentials by a large well known hospital and was having problems at a second hospital as well. He tried to keep all cancer related treatments with in his own practice not to help the patients, but to avoid hospital oversight and bill independently.

I hate to believe someone is guilty before they've had their day in court but the information against this man is so overwhelming...it's hard to keep an open mind. If it is true, he's most likely killed lots of people with over treatment (which can't really be proven), he's used people's bodies for financial gain and is just pure evil.

There are lots of articles about it available on the internet, but the one below is what is posted on the site for the FBI.

Here is a link that might be useful: FBI notice of charges and arrest

Comments (57)