SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cooperbailey

I need your good thoughts and prayers

cooperbailey
13 years ago

Short story- I have to have a 3 phase whole body bone scan today.They are looking to rule out metastatic disease.

The results will be known by Weds. But the surgical oncologist I am seeing doesnt have an appt til the 28th(which is DHs 60th birthday)

Long story- started having hip pain in Mid January- no fall or injury. tried a cane( bright pink with roses DH bought it said it was so me!) in February.not much help. Missed almost 2 weeks of work in February.Went to orthopod, had xrays he thought it was bursitis,got injection- didnt work.Went back following week, was put on crutches and had MRI of lower back and hip. Nothing there probably tendonitis. Still had pain so sent out for another set of xrays and there was something on the bone in the hip. I was shaken- I thought for sure he was going to tell me to be patient, it takes time for tendonitis to heal and go to physical therapy.

So he sent me to a surgical oncologist instead.Both of these docs are excellent surgeons they also work in the shock trauma unit.

And there we are.It has been a very scary 2 weeks.

If people ask why I am on crutches, I just say extreme snowboarding and I found out I can't land flakie.

I am so tired of crutches- havent done anything much for months.

So I would appreciate good thoughts, prayers, vibes,karma humor, whatever you would like to send my way.

Comments (126)

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Hey CB, just got home from vacation and wanted to check in here...see if there was any news. Agree with others that waiting is so tough. But, you have been thought a lot and I know you are strong enough to be patient if that's what it takes. Hang in there and remember that we're all pulling for you!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

One more day. Sending you hope, strength and courage.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Hey Coop!

Sending good thoughts to you and the "Retrievers"!!

Faron

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Joining all your friends here to wish you all good news and happy landings!
    p.s. I ditto oakley re.the xanax, if appropriate, should you need a bit of help getting through this stressful time. Hugs.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Continuing to send you good energy and thoughts. I second the idea of a great movie (preferably funny) with popcorn (buttered-indulge yourself) followed by your favorite frosty beverage (margaritas sound terrific).

• les917
    13 years ago

Keeping you in my thoughts and sending good vibes your way. By this time tomorrow this will be behind you, and hopefully will have given you good news.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Thoughts of good health still coming your way!

• golddust
    13 years ago

I'm just checking in to say I'm still sending you good thoughts and prayers. This must turn out well!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Me too!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

The waiting room at the doctor's office is going to be mighty crowded with all of us there with you!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Just wanted to pop in and wish you well today Sue. Know our thoughts and prayers go with you . . . .

tina

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Chiming in with more good wishes, thoughts and prayers!

• User
    13 years ago

I spent quiet moments in the garden this AM with a misty rain falling...my thoughts are all with you Sue . c

• awm03
    13 years ago

Said a prayer for you at mass this a.m. I've been going to daily mass for Lent & am including you in the prayers. Hang in there, cooper b.! You have our love & support.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Love from Washington today sue!

• maddielee
    13 years ago

thinking of you today...

ML

• lefleur1
    13 years ago

cooper, we are all there in spirit with you ~~ the waiting room is bursting at the seams~~

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Thinking about you

• cooperbailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Your prayers, good thoughts and healing energies worked! The opinion is an 80/20 chance that it is a stress fracture, so they are not doing a biopsy at all! Yay!
    I had two choices- biopsy which may break the hip completely if it is a stress fracture,and 6 weeks on crutches, no weight bearing. Or, no biopsy and 6 weeks on crutches, no weight bearing. Yeah, thats what I picked too.I am soooo tired of crutches and pain.
    I have repeat MRIs and xrays in 6 weeks and then a return visit. If it is not better or gets worse then a biopsy and most likely a plate to hold the hip together. We have no idea why this has happened- I didnt do anything at all no falls or exercise. I do have to get a dexascan to see if I have osteoporosis.
    He said if it turns out to be metastatic breast cancer then 6 weeks wouldn't adversely affect the treatment.
    So I am very, very relieved!
    It was very crowded in the waiting room! I imagined all of you as I waited! In fact you guys went with me wherever I went all weekend. Whenever I would get a bit anxious I would think of you and remember to breathe out the bad and breathe in the good. No xanax or wine needed.
    Thank you all so much.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I knew you didn't need Xanax anyway!! You are a strong woman who has BEAT breast cancer in the past. Go you!!

I am so happy to hear your news!!! I wonder if you chemo, etc. in the past can cause weakening of the bones? Regardless - I am beyond thrilled for you.

tina (doing the happy dance for you!)

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

cooper, that's so wonderful!! Can you take bone-building minerals during those 6 weeks, to counteract the possible weakening effect of no weight-bearing during that time?

It's such a great thing that g'web can be an actual source of psychological to the point of physiological support. Something we can be thankful for.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Congrats! I was hoping a small fracture would be the case. Between chemo and getting older, osteoporosis could certainly be the culprit. You're a survivor!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

So glad for you!!!!! Boy, I bet you wish you could do a happy dance, except for your hip! lol

Take very very good care of yourself, and let your dh wait on you.

Uh, tina, are you implying those of us who take an occassional xanax or a glass of wine aren't "strong?" ;)

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I have been checking all morning for your post CB. Great news, and I am so glad you felt all of the positive energy directed your way from everyone here! Take care of yourself! Too funny, no Xanax or wine. Have to admit, I'm thinking I would've needed the wine!

• bestyears
    13 years ago

Yay, yay, yay, happy dance!!!!

• golddust
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh!! Your post brought tears to my eyes. What a glorious day!!! (Sorry about the crutches, but hey!!)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

So happy to hear the good news too!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Wonderful news! Ok, 6 more weeks on crutches - you can do this. I also wonder if flyleft's suggestion of bone building minerals is something to consider. Is there osteoporosis in your family? Are you of 'the body type' that's most at risk or in any of the other risk categories?

• CaroleOH
    13 years ago

Great news, 6 weeks will fly by!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Weren't you going to work on curtains with your daughter? Think of some projects (sewing, etc) that you can do sitting. Once the weather permits, you could just lay out in a lounge chair all day long! LOL!!

tina

• barb5
    13 years ago

OK, switching gears here.

Psychic energy for healing stress fracture being sent your way, CB!

• User
    13 years ago

Oh Sue I am so glad that the news is so positive . The 6 weeks will fly by. The flowers in the garden are brighter because of your news. All your roses will be coming forth in celebration in your garden. Sit in that sweet wicker chair and recover. c

• igloochic
    13 years ago

I'd do a happy dance Sue but I'm a really good happy dancer and you'd be tempted to join me so I'll take a happy nap on your behalf.

I was torn between reading this thread and not reading it...but had to read it. I didn't want to read bad news! And I'm so glad I read good news. Lay on your butt...eat some bon bon's and feel better soon dear!!!! I guess this means I don't get to take you out to lunch...

Now as to the wine...that does help :oP Almost anything heh heh

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

What great news! Thanks for sharing it so soon after you received it.

As these six weeks unfold, think healing thoughts every day (several times a day is best!) The imagination is more powerful than the will. Truly, it trumps it every time.

So imagine yourself walking with no pain, easily, off the crutches, etc. When fearful, negative thoughts come in, gently tell yourself something positive to believe instead. Imagine good outcomes and tell yourself good things. This will assist your healing.

The old classic, "Every day in every way I am getting better and better," is a good thing to repeat often to yourself (SNL skits aside! No mirror needed!) You can also be specific,"...my hip is getting better, my strength is getting better, and so on) Another "mantra" I like is to say, "I can do this, and I will do this."

I'll be doing this for you too...thinking all positive, healing thoughts, imagining and praying for good outcomes. Peace!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I am so happy to read your positive news. What a relief for you and your family!

Like others say, use these six weeks to prepare mentally and physically for a great summer of activity.
    Dee

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Another very happy dancer here. And, I am having a glass of wine on your behalf! Now, if there were Berger Cookies around, I'd have some of them too, just to celebrate! ;-)

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

I'm so relieved they're not doing the biopsy any time soon.

Keep us posted. I hope they will never have to do the biopsy. My dad had 3 of them. I have a link to a blog of a young gal who was just diagnosed with a leukemia; she has a wonderful blog with information on all of the tests she's recently had; if you ever want the link; feel free to email me.

• texanjana
    13 years ago

Great news! Thanks for sharing.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Thank goodness!

• Jeane Gallo
    13 years ago

Great news. I've been thinking about you all weekend. If you do have osteoporosis, ask your doc about an injectable bone builder. My mom used Forteo (I gave her the shots every day, but it is a teeny tiny needle). It really built up her bones. I think they have even better treatments now. It has lasting effects, too. She had previously broken a hip, but is doing great now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Woohoo! Relax, we are all doing the happy dance for you-well, except igloo, but then, happy naps are good, too! :)

• les917
    13 years ago

The best news,just as we all hoped!

Dexascan is a piece of cake - I used to do them when I worked in the Rheumatology office. Bone-building drugs may be prescribed, but they work slowly, so 6 weeks one way or the other won't make a huge difference. There are lots of reasons you can have osteopenia or osteoporosis - drug therapies, both chemo and steroids, being too thin (being under 127 pounds is a marker for risk), family history, early menopause, low calcium and Vitamin D, and the list goes on.

For now, take care of yourself, be a good girl and do what the docs tell you to do. We'll all be here, thinking of you and cheering you on until those crutches are tucked away in the closet.

• jlc712
    13 years ago

YAY! I am so very happy to hear your good news! I was trying to rush my little boy through the bedtime routine so I could get online and check for your update :) And it was the best thing I've heard all day!

Rest that hip! And umm I've heard ice cream and cheese(on nachos preferably) are the absolute best sources of calcium for your bones. LOL :)

So glad you are ok CB

Jen

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

What happy news! May you go from strength to strength!

Isn't strawberry cheesecake a good source of calcium? :)

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

So glad to hear this !!!

• judiegal6
    13 years ago

WoooHooo Yipeee, Great News!!!

• User
    13 years ago

Well, that's great news. Heal quickly!

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

What wonderful news! I'm so relieved, and know you are too! (((((Hugs)))))

(And yes, heal quickly!) :-)

• teacats
    13 years ago

Yes -- heal quickly! And rest!

((and eat ice cream LOL!))

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Yipeeeeee!!!! Oh, but you do need lots of chocolate for good healing:>) Again: hooray, hooray!