SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Yet another tipping question

neetsiepie
9 years ago

I think I'm a pretty good tipper-usually 20% is my usual for sit down foot servers. Depending on how much time is spent and the service, my nail tech gets between 15-20% and I generally tip my hairdresser 20% for normal service.

This is about my hairdresser. I've finally found the dream gal-I love her and what she does for my hair. She works 3 days a week at a salon in my town. It's one of the more expensive places, but they only hire the best staff. For a full head highlights, one color and a cut it's about $135-which about 40% more than my old stylist, but I am happy here, so I will pay it.

Now, my gal also has a salon at her home, which is in a small town about a 40 minute drive from this salon. She's often told me she feels really bad charging the salon prices for services, because in her home she charges nearly half the salon price. She's told me I can come to her home salon if I want, but she knows the in-town salon is a lot more convenient for me. She works into the evening in town, and only day hours at her home.

So when it comes to tipping-what would be more appropriate? Tip her 20% of the salon price? Or of the usual going price in town, or at what she'd charge at her home salon?

The last time I saw her, I needed a full head service, and I just added the tip to my card charge-it worked out to less than 15%. I realized after I'd left that I pretty much under tipped her-that was what I'd have tipped my old stylist. So next time I see her for a touch up should I tip extra to make up for the last time? Should i just tip 20% on the bill and forget the previous tip? Or start basing my tips on the typical salon rate?

I also am not sure on what to do for the massage therapists...some are far better than others. And the place has a suggested tip amount-that to me seems SUPER high. It's also based on a walk in rate, not a membership rate, there's a big difference in rates there.

And finally, should I tip in cash or just add it to my card? My nail techs prefer cash, hair stylist and massage therapists don't seem to have a preference.

Comments (9)