SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maverick111

Carrier Infinity AC on Lennox 2 stage furnace/relocate to attic

maverick111
17 years ago

1. HVAC guy A wants to sell me a Carrier 24ANA748 4 ton/15+ SEER Infinity A/C with matching coil to go with my two stage Lennox furnace. HVAC guy B tells me this is not a great idea as my Lennox furnace lacks the variable speed fan that is the key to getting the designed benefit out of the Carrier Infinity. HVAC guy B suggests going with the Carrier Comfort/Performance series. Can someone shed some light on this subject?

2. HVAC guy B recommends that while I am replacing the system (A/C and Heat) for the upstairs area that I relocate the new unit from the basement to the attic. Guy B says this would eliminate approximately 20 linear feet of uphill ducting to get to the trunk line and improve the overall efficiency of heating and cooling upstairs.

A. HVAC guy A says pumping refrig uphill causes accelerated failure of the system...yes, no maybe?

B. HVAC guy A and B both recommend using an 80% furnace in the attic vice a 90% furnace, which they recommend for the basement. Why not put a 90% in the attic? Is it because of the amount of water a 90% produces as a by product of combustion...and water in the attic is not a good thing?

What other things do I need to consider?

Comments (3)