SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Geothermal - Newbie needs help

piscesgirl
15 years ago

We need to get a new HVAC system (33 year old oil furnace and 19 year old AC)and have decided to look into GeoThermal....however we do have our fair share of reservations due to the cost involved and uncertainty. It seems like a big risk to me.

Our house:

1976 2-story, brick colonial with vinyl siding back

2348 sq ft

Oil heating (no gas available to area)

Philadelphia suburbs

My main concerns or reservations with going Geothermal are as follows:

1) In general I am worried that the installer will not lay enough tubing (something not easily fixed) or that they will size the unit incorrectly.

2) We need to get a new HVAC system now (cracked heat exchanger) but we are planning on updating windows at some point down the line (they are the original storm windows). I am worried that once we get the new windows the unit will be oversized.

3) Our electric company (PECO) rate cap is expiring and starting in 2010 they are saying that rates could increase by 40% over the next 3 years. That concerns me...especially if the sizing is off.

I know there are manufacturer guarantees for the units but do installers offer guarantees? Something costing this much ...it would be nice to see them put some performance guarantees into place that if their calculations are WAY off that you get some sort of compensation or that they fix the problem.

Any advice or suggestions for a newbie?

I have done some research but we have our first appointment with an installer this weekend and I wanted to know what questions I should be asking.

Thanks!

Comments (4)