SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reno_fan

Any words of advice concerning child bed wetting?

reno_fan
18 years ago

Okay you guys, I'm at my wits end. My youngest (DD, age 7.5) manages to wet the bed about every other night.

We've tried limiting fluids, sugar, salt, etc before bed.

We've tried waking her in the middle of the night. (She would often stumble to the bathroom, sit down, do nothing, then proceed to wet the bed the moment she was back asleep in bed, and have NO recollection at all the next morning.)

We've tried setting an alarm for her.

None of this has worked, and it's becoming more and more of an issue, for both of us. She's embarassed, I'm tired of doing laundry every day. I *know* it's not her fault, but I can't help feeling exasperated, and I'm sure she can pick up on that.

Trouble is, the bed wetting doesn't wake her at all. She sleeps right through it. I've had other moms tell that when their bedwetters wake in the middle of the night, they make them change the sheets. Our DD doesn't even realize it till the morning. Needless to say, this makes sleepovers, slumber parties, etc touchy.

I've researched a bit on those bed wetting alarms that are supposed to wake the child at the first sign of wetness, supposedly to trigger the "brain/bladder connection". I suppose I'm skeptical, and also leary that it really *could* wake her, as she's such a heavy sleeper.

Has anyone used such a device? Or have any other advice to give?

Comments (34)