SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_mull

Wet Ground - Dry Creek Bed Type Construction - Advice?

b_mull
17 years ago

OK, here is my dilemma. I have been dealing with this issue for a few years now (since getting my house) and I am trying to think of a way to deal with the situation. At the bottom of this post are some links to images displaying what I am talking about. Hope you can help.

So, in my back yard, I have a drainage swale leading to the back corner of my yard. This area is constanly wet, unless there is at least a 2-3 week span with no rain. It's not really standing water, it's just mushy, soggy, wet ground. I can't run a lawn mower over it at all until fully dry without tearing the ground up, so I usually just weedeat it. When it does rain, standing water drains to an in-ground drain located just across the property line in my neighbors yard (behind the small tree in the photo).

I have consulted with someone about this problem, and they first suggested trying to drain this area out faster to the street, but with the swale and with the distance to the street, proper decline on the pipe would put it below street level. So it seems that's out. I have also tried to add some dirt to the corner to build the area up, with no avail. Honestly, I don't want to do too much as I fear dumping my problem on the neighbors.

My latest idea is to try and create a dry creek bed type area in the yard. I want to rock in the corner of the yard along with the ares along the perimeter that meet in that corner as those places stay moist as well.

My hope is that even though the area will stay moist, the rocks will cover the mess. Part of this is because we are going to replace our fence soon (blew down during Katrina) and we are going to get a dog. I don't want the dog getting all into that mud and tracking it into the house. Thoughts??

Will this make my problem worse? Is it going to affect drainage of water as it's raining? If this is a good way to go, how should I go about doing this. Should I put landscape fabric on the grass and put rock on top, or should I dig the area out a bit, put down fabric and replace with a thicker layer of rock.

http://brianmull.com/yard/wetyard.jpg

http://brianmull.com/yard/rockbed.jpg

Comments (4)