SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidwv_gw

Garden too wet & maters need planting, need advice, PLEASE!!

davidwv
13 years ago

My garden soil is a pretty heavy clay base and due to all of the rain that we have received and still receiving I have not been able to get my tomato plants in the ground yet. Normally after tilling I rake the soil into a 3 foot wide raised bed, put down my black plastic and plant away.

But this year we have received so much rain that I just cannot get into the garden to get this done. I have approximately 50 plants that desperately need to get planted. Even though the garden was a little wetter than I would have liked, I was able to run the tiller over the garden on Wednesday evening (this was the third time running the tiller over the garden, I did it just to loosen the soil back up) and hoped to be able to start planting on Thursday, but it rained 7/10 tenths of an inch on Thursday. Then today (Friday) we got dumped on with another 1.5 inches of rain. It would take a week, maybe two, of completely dry days for the garden to dry up enough to be in decent shape. But the weather forecast is for more chances of rain.

Do you guys think that what I am proposing to do would be ok? I have long half inch thick by 8 inch wide boards that I can put down on the garden to walk on to try to keep from compacting the soil too bad. I was thinking about just going ahead and laying the black plastic down without making the beds and try to ease the plants into the ground with as little soil disturbance at the planting site as possible. At least they would be in the ground by doing this. Or should I take my chances on the weather and wait another week or two?

I sure could use some advice right about now. This will be the latest I have ever got my tomatoes planted in either case.

Thanks,

David

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH