SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Need plant advice for my front garden

bgaviator
8 years ago

Hello, I would like advice please on trying to make my front garden look better.

I am in zone 7B, northern Mississippi. My front garden is on the west side of the house, but there is a fairly large tree that provides most of the garden with filtered shade in the summer.

My garden currently has a few Spirea (I think) bushes, and some thorny red barberry bushes. There are currently a few daylily plants in the front part....but what I hate about them is they don't bloom much, and once they're done blooming they just look like clumps of grass. I also have what I believe is a Iris of some type that comes up every year, but it never produces flowers, just strappy grass that looks ok at first, but then looks like crap later into summer. When I first moved to the house the front part of the garden had Lambs Ear in front of the tree too, but I have ripped most of it out as I hate how ratty lambs ears starts to look. I also have what I believe to be some type of Azelea behind the tree, but it rarely blooms flowers and mostly just has green leaves on it in the summer.

I think some of my existing plants (iris, azelea) don't do well where they are at due to the amount of shade the garden gets.

I am specifically looking for ideas for in front of the tree, for around the base. Some plants for some height contrast in places as well. Something to maybe replace the daylilies that will bloom more throughout summer. And also I need something in front of my window where there currently isn't anything.

Some plants I've considered for in front of the tree are either Geranium Biokova, or heucheras. I really like the look of the Geranium idea.

I have also been fascinated by the looks of Brunnera Jack Frost, and possibly some type of Astilbe.....I saw one variety of Astilbe that peaked my interest called Visions White. I think the garden could use some white colors as well as your reds and blues. Can you all please take a look at my photos and tell me if any of these plants I'm considering would work......where I should specifically put them, and possibly better plants for my situation that I'm not considering. I'm really only interested in perrenials, and stuff that's non-invasive and easy to maintain. Thanks.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living