SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gman_2006

Spray Foam Insulation & Sizing AC

gman_2006
17 years ago

Thanks for reading this post. I need input from all the HVAC experts out there.

I currently have a 3500 sq ft new construction 2- story colonial with individual HVAC sytems servicing each floor. The 1600 sq ft first floor is handled by a 3- ton 2-stage heat pump w/ 2-stage variable speed LP gas furnace back up located in the basement, duct work hung against the ceiling.

The larger 1900 sq ft second floor is handled by a 4-ton 2-stage heat pump w/ 2-stage variable speed LP gas furnace back up located in the attic, duct work hung below ridge line. House sits in an open field with no trees and will bake in the northeast summer sun. Unit & duct sizing was supported by a detailed manual-J loac calc for the structure.

Specs call for traditional fiberglass batt insulation, R-30 in ceiling, R-19 in walls. I am strongly considering the application of closed cell polyurethane spray foam insulation to the underside of the roof deck and walls and sealing off the ridge & sofit vents thereby turning the attic into a semi-conditioned space.

HVAC contractor says that he'll re-do the load calcs but says that there is more involved than replacing the coils and out door units with smaller ones.

Questions:

1. Overall what am I setting myself up for here?

2. when redoing the load calcs for the upstairs do you now consider (include) the attic space since the roof deck is now insulated and not the second floor ceiling?

3. Obvioulsy with the tighter building envelope the current heat pumps are to large and we want to avoid a short cycling scenario. Would this still be the case given that they are two stage and the air handler is variable speed?

Any advice is appreciated as I have to make a decision shortly. Thanks.

Comments (6)