SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Rim joist retro insulation with spray foam?

pjb999
15 years ago

My '80's British Columbia house has insulation stuffed into the basement rim joists, but I don't think there's moisture/air barrier over it in all places, from what I can see. What I have been able to get to has black discolouring on the insulation I guess possibly mould, or just moisture? We have a very dry climate here, humidity rarely gets over the mid-30's even in summer.

I am assuming this was permissible code in the day, or the basement was finished later, amateurishly, as much of the work seems to be - there are no substantial moisture issues but they have messed up in places, I'm slowly fixing it.

My question is this: It's not practical to redo the rim joist insulation everywhere, but where I CAN get to it, is sprayfoam in a can a better alternative to fibreglass and plastic? I know if I don't do it all, it's not very effective but there are places like a plenum where pipes etc enter I will be cutting an access to, because we will be running wires and a/c plumbing through. I figured this is an important area to redo since the pipes/wires will conduct cold in.

I am assuming "greatstuff" the non-door/window stuff in small quantities is the way to go, and it's an equivalent to the commercially sprayed stuff?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH