SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spunbondwarrior

DIY spray foam insulation?

spunbondwarrior
11 years ago

We are building a rather small "retirement" home. Almost everything used has come from the local trading posts and Craigslist. The one "splurge" for the general construction of the house is for insulation.
Here in west NC, it gets pretty cold in the winter, usually right around 0F to -5F, and pretty hot in the summer time too, like around +100F. My wife hates the cold, and I hate the heat. So we're even.
Not wanting to spend anything absolutely necessary for A/C on monthly utility bills, and not wanting to spend any unnecessary time and effort on maintaining our woodpile, we have been investigating the best and most cost effective options out "there".
Closed cell spray foam seemed to be the best option, until we got a few prices..... So much for spray foam. But..... Not that I would ever doubt the honesty and integrity of any manufacturer/distributor of such products..... I have seen many of the DIY spray foam vendor sites that expound upon the wonders and simplicity and low cost of DIY spray foam, and have been somewhat interested in the reality of just how wonderfully easy and damn near fool proof such a project is.
Has anyone "here" any experience with any of the myriad of DIY spray foam units/kits/whatever? And if so, would you be so kind as to share your very honest evaluation of product, process and performance, we would be most appreciative. Thanxxx!

Comments (2)