SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harold7035

Need Help on Selecting HVAC System (Bryant & Lennox)

Harold7035
10 years ago

Hi. I am replacing a 20 year old 90% efficiency Bryant furnace and 12 SEER A/C as the AC is not working well (it can't cool the house below 77 degrees on a hot day when the sun hits the back of our house -western exposure). We have 2 zones so this equipment is for the main floor and the basement. (Heat pump for the top floor was replaced 5 years ago and works great - Carrier Infiniti series).
Main Floor: 1700 sq feet
Basement: 1200 sq feet
Humidity is typically fairly high in summer so I would like to control that and is one of the reasons I want a variable speed furnace.I live in MD so we get fairly cold winters (especially this year) and hot summers.

Which brand is better - Lennox or Bryant?
And which equipment combination is preferred from those below? I suspect I can get the Lennox dealer to lower his quotes a little if the forum thinks Lennox is better than Bryant.

1. Quote #1 - $7833 - Lennox Elite Series EL296V 2 stage variable fan gas furnace 80,000 BTUs
Lennox XC16 2 stage A/C 3 ton (15.5 SEER)
Lennox icomfort Wi-Fi Thermostat
AHRI Info:
Outdoor Unit Model Number: XC16-036-230-05
Indoor Unit Model Number: CX34-43+TDR
Furnace Model Number: EL296UH090XV36C*

2. Quote #2 - $8133 Lennox XC17 single stage A/C 3 ton same furnace (17 SEER)

3. Quote #3 - $7300 - Same furnace with Lennox Merit- Series 14ACX Air Conditioner (single stage) 14 SEER

4. Quote #4 - $7000 - Bryant 126bna036 Preferred series AC. Single Stage 16 SEER
Bryant 986ta48080v17 two stage variable speed gas furnace.
Bryant cnpvp 3717al evaporator coil.
Honeywell 6000 programmable thermostat

Quotes 1-3 have 1 year labor and is from same vendor (I received similar quotes from another vendor). It's from a large company with an OK reputation. Quote 4 is 2 years labor and the installer is a smaller company with a great reputation - owner seems to know what he is talking about.

A couple of vendors prefer single stage AC compressors because they are more reliable, cost less if there are problems, and think that the high stage will run most of the time in the summer anyway. What do you all think of that as well?

Comments (7)