SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdesignsky

What it really cost living in No Cal?

acdesignsky
17 years ago

DH got a great new job and has been there about 2 months. It's a huge step up in every way except salary. In fact, he took a 10% paycut for the job. That's not an issue really, he really enjoys the challenge and we're doing fine financially. Out of nowhere, he got a call from someone he'd worked with for a position in SF. The guy is a C level executive and the job is DH's to take. So we're thinking about it and I'm researching No Cal.

Let me say, I knew it was expensive, but it's scary expensive. We're looking at at least doubling our mortgage, but we'd probably rent until the market levels out. Another option may be to telecommute and fly out 1-2X a month and stay in a hotel a few days each time. Like I said, this is just in the earliest stages. DH hasn't even gotten any firm numbers and leaving his new job would be a really hard decision.

Here's the question, how much does it really cost to live comfortably in SF for a family of 4? For us that means a decent house in a great school district, dance lessons and gymnastics for the kids, easy commute to downtown SF, plus still funding our retirement and college funds for the kids. One salary calculator said we'd need about 185K. Is that really possible?

Comments (39)