SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotkight

Duct isolation - Leaking

scotkight
13 years ago

So in looking at my HVAC system (changing the position of my dampers as the seasons change) I decided to seal up some leaks, since its been a few years. I was merrily metal taping away because the original installers put duct (not metal) tape on a joint not visible from the ground when I came to an isolation joint.

I may not be using the right term, kind of a rubberized canvas connection between the duct coming up from the furnace and the ducts running into the house. I believe it is designed to limit the furnace/blower vibration and noise running through the house.

Ok, so now we have this isolation material, it seems like it is made on the spot by taking a strip, attaching some metal connecting material to the long sides the size of the duct work and sliding it in place. The strips short ends should end up one above the other completing a loop.

Thing is, the two short ends are not connected together, so in effect there is a gap that allows air to go straight out of the duct into the utility room.

How is this normally sealed? Mastic in the gap and squeeze the canvas ends together? I can't imagine that this is normally left like this.

Comments (4)