SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinkateb

Passover or Oy what have I gotten myself into?

robinkateb
16 years ago

As many folks here know I do a Passover seder every year. I even hosted one the year my youngest was just a month old. Well this year we were planning on doing a Passover seder as usual, only mildly insane, and also going to visit my family in NYC for April break. Oops, I should have checked the calendar a little closer, they are in the same week.

So...I am taking my seder on the road. We are going to drive to NYC on April 18th (Friday) and then I will be hosting a seder for my family on the 20th. My boys are overjoyed at getting to celebrate with my family. I am a little worried, my dad's apartment where I will be doing this does not have a well stocked kitchen. There is at least a pepper mill because i bought one, however there are barely any pots and pans etc. I will have to borrow.

So what are you folks making for Passover? Any ideas to make this work?

-Robin

Comments (68)

• jojoco
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Count me in as another who will be in NYC for Passover. I'm arriving Saturday and will drive back Monday am. Anyone up for a quick meet and greet for coffee?
    Jo

• mimsic
    16 years ago

Adding my 2 cents, be fair warned: No Jewish stores will be open Friday afternoon, Saturday, Sunday or Monday that week. Its Shabbat then 2 days of Yom Tovim. Order provisions and have delivered by Wednesday or at the very latest, Thursday. Try FreshDirect.com. You can order every possible thing from them and have it all delivered, including wine. They don't deliver kosher meat on Friday or Saturday though. They have chef-prepared foods that are reputed to be very good, but not kosher. Freshdirect is pricey but very good. What an adventure! Good luck!

• Related Discussions

What have I gotten myself into...

Q

Comments (17)
    Dynamark --- You and I are sharing a brain wave. I spend last night completely disassembling the thing and I decided my challenge was to get the thing quasi-restored, together, and running. No big feat, right? The catch: I can only spend $20. This is going to mean a lot of fabrication of parts, scrounging for junk from parts mowers... I do love a challenge! I took apart, soaked, and reassembled the carb last night. All the removable things (wheels, blades, adjusters) were soaked overnight in a bucket of hot water and simple green and will be blasted off today, and the deck was soaked overnight with simple green brushed on liberally, working its way through the goop. Today around noon or 1 when its warmest, I'll bring out the pressure washer and blast it all off! yes, its 30 degrees out. me
    ...See More

Yikes! What have I gotten myself into? :)

Q

Comments (3)
    Here are a few simple suggestions I hope help: Don't buy any more violets no matter how tempted. If you do, you will be truly overwhelmed. Winter is not a good time to ship, anyhow. This will give you time to learn about them and to make your mistakes. As Irina said, there's a learning curve and we all lose violets; even those who have had them for years. Unless you've already repotted, leave them in the pots they came in for a while (I usually go six weeks). They can then adjust to your environment. Don't over-pot or your AVs will spend time growing roots instead of leaves and blooms. A rule of thumb is the pot should be 1/3 the leaf span. So a leaf-span of 3" should be in a 1" pot; a 6" span in a 2" pot. Others are more up on the largest pot in which you should put a mini or semi. When you do repot, you can cut regular AV soil with perlite (coarse is best; I get mine online or at the local co-op). 3:1 is the ratio with perlite being the bigger number. If you received blooming or ready-to-bloom plants you were lucky. Most aren't shipped that way and it could take the others a month or two before you see the first bloom. And most important of all: If you need reading glasses, WEAR THEM when you repot. :-D Happy Growing! Linda
    ...See More

Oif, what have I gotten myself into?!

Q

Comments (2)
    Hello, Bubbledragon! And welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of Hippeastrums! It sounds like you did great... keep a close eye on watering... they cannot tolerate over-watering, and tend to rot from the roots up if they stay too wet for too long! Please post some photos... we just love checking out everyone's bulbs! And keep reading past posts here... there's tons of great information on the culture of these beautiful and habit-forming plants!
    ...See More

What have I gotten myself into????

Q

Comments (8)
    I hope that what I'm thinking is wrong, but if your GC has underbid the tile work by that much, I'd be concerned about the people he's hiring and how qualified they are to do the job. You said several weren't "up to the task" already and that's one RED Flag. The second red flag is that he's not getting enough money from you to pay the people he hires in. You need to forget about that relationship mumbo jumbo crap because getting a job done "on the cheap" is not going to do you any favors, on contrar, it could end up being a nightmare for you. Here's the risk your run: He's underbid your job and you have trusted him to hire people to come in and work on your home. But he hasn't charged you enough to cover the expenses so he doesn't have enough money pay them. When contractors don't pay their subcontractor's they will put lien(s) on YOUR home and of course the contractor will still have YOUR MONEY. I would not be surprised if this is what's happening becasue from the sounds of it, he's charging you only his take on the job. You need to get rid of this guy like yesterday. And if he's had people doing work on your bathroom already, you may need to get lien wavers (I think that's what their called) from the sub contractors to make sure they can't put a lien on your house for non payment.(if by some chance he doesn't pay them) You said it yourself in your post, these guys are desparate only I think you are very mistaken if you don't think clients will get the short end of the stick too. They are trusting and vulnerable, a perfect target. It's times like these that you need to really use good due diligence to make sure you know who you're working with and what the typical cost for what you want done is. In regards to the liens, I've never had one put on my home, I just used to underwrite loans and if there was a lien it had to be paid before title could be transferred. You should probably find out if your at risk from someone who knows more about it, and how it's applicable to the area you live in but it's important that you find out.
    ...See More
  • robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Happygram, here are 2 excellent potato kugel recipes, not sweet that I have gotten from this forum. We have made both and loved them both. Of course my 2 heathen boys don't eat them.

-Robin

*** Recipe from Ren Adler Ascher's kitchen ***

Potato Kugel

Source: My version of a friend Donna?s
    Servings: 3 Qt. serves about 12 [Pyrex 13 x 9 x 2]

Prep and cooking time: 30 mins, plus 1 hour, 15 mins

Equipment: Pyrex or other oven-proof shallow casserole (as above)
    2 Large bowls
    Large calendar or strainer
    Electric hand mixer

Ingredients:

4 1/2 Lbs. Idaho potatoes (about 12 cups)
    6 whole eggs + 2 egg whites
    1/2 cup, plus 1 generous tablespoon potato starch
    1 Tbs. kosher or sea salt
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (see Passover note)
    Scant 1/2 tsp. white pepper
    3/4 med. sm. onion, grated

1/2 cup canola oil + extra for brushing on

My Instructions
    Wash and peel potatoes, shred somewhat fine into a large bowl filled with ice water
    and let stand 15 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 350?
    Grease the Pyrex baking dish with canola oil
    Drain potatoes, squeeze dry by hand, then pat dry on clean dish towels.
    Mix dry ingredients together to blend
    In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thick and light. (About 3 minutes)
    Stir in potatoes, dry ingredients, and canola oil. Mix well.
    Turn into the baking dish. Bake uncovered for 1/2 hour. Brush top with oil at 15 minute
    Intervals for 45 minutes longer.
    Cool slightly, and cut into squares.

For Passover: Eliminate the baking powder; substitute with one more egg white, and by beating all the whites separately until stiff but not dry, you will enable the kugel to stay airy and rise. Fold these in last. Bake as above.

bubbeskitchen

Dishesdone/CarolÂs Kugel

Potato Kugel
    5 pounds potatoes
    3 teaspoons salt
    4 eggs
    2 large carrots
    1/2 cup matzo meal
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    2 large onions
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil for baking dish

Grate potatoes, onions and carrots. Place in mixing bowl. Add salt, eggs, matzo meal, pepper, and oil and mix well. Coat large baking dish with oil. Pour in mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 1 hour or until top is brown.

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Manischewitz matzo balls are good, we had them here last weekend. However Renee's recipe is sublime. The first year I made them one of my guests who is Jewish and his wife is not said to her, "Do you know what these mean to my people?" My oldest DS will eat Renee's recipe but not Manischewitz. However I can make them ahead and freeze them which will almost be easier then making the mix at my dad's ;-)

Also my aunt and uncle and cousins will be having a seder the night before. I want things to be better and different. They will be having Manischewitz MB's at their seder.

-Robin

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Ellen, I use whatever gefilte my dad brings home these days. I give him a list and he does the shopping. Usually It's Mrs Adler's brand, or Mother's Gefilte Fish. The all whitefish to me looks more appetizing on the plate (if you think a lump of fish looks appetizing, LOL!) but we have no preference except a few times I made Benzs Gefilte Fish log, you simmer it in a pot,and doctor it up. It was extra work. I stick with the jars now, we like them. Usually whitefish and pike. That was an argument among my Grandma's, one made Whitefish and Pike, one only whitefish.

Robin, I'm laughing at the heathen boys, will they eat the gefilte fish? Hit or miss with the fish, but potato kugel, any recipe, goes over big with my kids.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Robin, of course yours will be better!

Annie

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

Robin, Thanks for the accolades, the MB's are a must have in my house. Floaters! You have to tether then to the soup bowl.
    The recipe originated from Judy L's great grandmother Tilly.

Carol, your kugel recipe is simpler than mine...I'll try it sometime I like the addition of carrots. Do you hand grate or use the processor?

Robin, Definitely put gravy on the brisket before freezing. It minimizes dryness and the meat doesn't stick to itself. If you take it out of the freezer the day before travel, it will still be solid enough. The oven will do the rest.

Mimsic, Good reminder...FYI, Sables is not kosher, but you still have to place order ASAP. They will deliver all week.
    Ken, the owner is Korean. Feel free to mention my name.

Jo, I'll be in town over the weekend and might be able to grab a coffee.

Bubbe

16 years ago

Renee, my good friend Abby makes it every year for us, she is under strict orders to make two so we have some for the next day. She grates with an old grater. There is never any left, we always have to break into the extra one. She also makes the matzoh balls but hers are sinkers. I'll have to try your recipe for the floaters :)

• happygram
    16 years ago

Here's the Passover Pest again...

Now, in addition to any wonderful matzo kugel (sweet or not) recipes, I'd love to have Renee's recipe for antigravity matzo balls.

I searched both matzo balls and Bubbe's matzo balls, and, as expected, nothing came up.

My guests and I thank you all.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Robin, can you explain a little more about your logistics - will you have a car to return home? In other words, can you bring some of your own pots and pans?

Another quick menu item is sweet potato tzimmes - yeah, buy the cans. Whip in a few eggs, toss in some cinnamon/cardamom/maple syrup (what else did I have in there, Carol?) brown sugar, maybe dried apricots or canned pineapple, mix and bake.

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will have a car in both directions. We have one way car rentals with a GPS unit for both legs. I love the GPS unit!! I will be bringing my large roasting pan for the brisket. I can borrow from my next door neighbor and my aunt, altough I should figure out what I need ahead of time to make sure they don't need it. I think I should convince my dad I need a Le Creuest in the new azure blue for the dinner and then bring it home. I don't have a 5 qt oval yet. ;-)

Jessy, sounds easy but we don't liek sweetened sweet potatoes.

Carol, My DH and DS's won't touch gefilte fish. My boys are heathens in other ways as well. Although there are many ways I am blessed with what they will eat.

Here is Renee's wonderful recipe...

*** Recipe from Renée Adler Aschers kitchen ***

Matzoh Balls (Judy Lanes Grandmother Tillies recipe)

R.A.s Comments: These are heavenly, light as a feather. I refer to them as "floaters" VS sinkers. Families have preferences. This is ours by way of a dear, dear friend.

Ingredients:
    (For 8 - 10, makes 20 medium size)

1 1/2 cups Matzoh meal + 1 Tbs.
    8 Tbs. Chicken fat (1/2 cup) (soup fat is wonderful, may use 1/2 oil to cut back on cholestrol)
    8 Tbs. Chicken stock (1/2 cup)
    6 eggs separated at room temp.
    2 tsp. salt
    Scant 1/2 tsp. pepper

(1 1/2 times the recipe, enough for 12 to14)

2 1/4 .cup s Matzoh meal plus 1 1/2 Tbs.
    12 Tbs. Chicken fat (3/4 cup)
    12 Tbs. Chicken stock (3/4 cup)
    9 large eggs separated at room temp.
    3 tsp. salt
    1/2 + tsp. pepper

Equipment: 2 large mixing bowls, Electric hand or stand mixer, 1 or 2 large pots, a small ice cream scooper with a scraper works wonders for shaping the matzoh balls

Instructions:
    Beat egg yokes with whisk, add stock, salt, pepper, and chicken fat (melted, but cool). (I use a Kitchenaid electric mixer, but a hand mixer will work for the single recipe

Add the matzoh meal 1/4-cup at a time and blend thoroughly. Note: mixture will be somewhat dry and difficult to mix. An electric mixer helps.

Beat egg whites almost stiff but still glossy and not dry. Fold 1/4 of the whites into matzoh mixture to soften the mass. This will be difficult to do because of the stiffness of the matzoh mixture unless using an electric stand mixer. Then gently fold in the rest of the whites two to three stages

Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, two is better.

Meanwhile, put one or two large pot of water up to boil.

Using an ice cream scoop or with oiled hands, roll 1 Tbs. of mixture into sphere shape. These will expand quite a bit, so dont make them too big. Note: The mixture will be soft, but if it is very loose.
    Drop into boiling water as you go. If using one pot, cook in batches making sure not to over crowd pot or the matzoh balls will not expand properly and will be hard inside. I put 20 at a time in both my 13 and 16 Qt. stockpots.

When water returns to a boil, cover boil for 25 minutes then reduce heat slightly [medium high] and keep at a boil for 40 minutes.

Remove with slotted spoon to a large bowl of ice water. Cool.

Store in water until ready to use. Refrigerate for longer storage (up to 3 days).

Drain well on kitchen towels or a few thicknesses of paper toweling; add to chicken soup to heat thoroughly.

Notes on freezing:
    Matzoh balls can be made ahead of time and frozen in water. Just remove from freezer in
    enough time to defrost. In a pinch, you may microwave carefully to aid in defrosting. Drain
    well before adding to soup to reheat.

16 years ago

LOL, Robin! Mine will eat it now, but it was always funny when someone came for the holiday dinner that didn't know what it was, and gave the lump a try. There's no maybe, they either liked it or not! Annie was a gefilte fish taster a few years back!

Jessy, you forgot the BOURBON!

My grandma's Tzimmes had meat in it, but I didn't care for it with the meat. Probably flanken, I'm guessing. I use Jessy's recipe.

here's your recipe...

Jessica's Tzimmes
    Several pounds peeled and chopped uncooked sweet potatoes - large chunks
    1/2 can concentrated OJ
    1/2 cup sugar - or more
    one pod crushed cardamom seed
    1/3 cup bourbon (note: this isn't technically kosher for passover!)
    Assorted other fruit - pineapples, apples, raisins, oranges, etc

Toss in a pot (I use a pressure cooker), cover and cook until sweet potatoes are cooked but hold their shape.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My notes from Passover 2004 - I boiled the sweet potatoes, about 9 large ones (not the fat ones, long and thinner, I think they're sweeter than the big fat ones.) They were more par boiled that fully cooked. Then I drained them and threw in apricots but not the plump turkish kind, I like the kind from California that are more orange (and probably treated with something!) and a can of Dole pineapple chunks in it's own juice (I used 1/2 the juice) then I put in a little bit more then 1/2 a can of minute maid frozen OJ concentrate, a little more than 1/2 cup of sugar and definitely a little more than 1/3 cup of bourbon (Jim Beam) and a crushed cardamom pod, oh and I thought a little cinnamon would be nice because I love cinnamon, so I used Ceylon cinnamon. Mixed it all together and covered it to cook through. Then the next day I put it on the stove to heat up and left the heat on high to reduce the sauce because it was kind of thin. I got a little preoccupied (the story of my life...LOL) and it reduced to a real syrupy consistency.
    NOTES :
    Can freeze! add orange marmelade, too!

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

carol, I was in the grocery store once after Passover when they had the sale on Passover items. I saw a man who had obviously never had gefilte fish examining a jar (because it was so cheap I assume), i almost walked up top him and told him not to even try unless he was raised on it. That same store one year gave away the huge sleeves of matzo with a purchase over $100 dollars, after Passover.

-Robin

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Oh yeah the NOT KOSHER FOR PASSOVER BOURBON AAARRRGGGGHHHH can't make it now. !@*%#&!@.....

Those Matzah balls look great but invariabley I have vegetarians over and make them veggie soup - so I keep the MBs veggie (box mix) also.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I'm entering the thread late, but I just want to say...

YIPPEEEEE!!! Passover is my favorite holiday.

Robin, Good luck with the mobile seder! It's a challenge but I'm sure you're up to it. Sounds like you're getting it all under control.

Are we gonna talk menus? I've saved previous passover threads so I'm going to look through those for more inspiration. I'm sure I'll make the same brisket recipe I've made since the seder came back to my house 4 years ago. It was posted over on kitchens (conversations). It uses Manischewitz Extra Heavy Malaga wine, ketchup & brown sugar. This makes a luscious gravy.

I might try Renée's matzo balls this year. I've always just used the recipe on the back of the matzo meal box and they come out light and good. But I have to make two sets of balls, one using chicken fat & broth for the majority, and one using oil for my vegetarian son who gets his own separate veg soup.

I've done asparagus for my green veggie the past couple o' years so I might try for something different this year. Have to think about that.

Four of my regular guests are not coming this year so I have extra spaces at the table. Most everyone I know has family here so they don't need a place to go. I'm wracking my brain to think of someone else who I can invite!!!

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I'll eat gefilte fish if there's enough horseradish...

- Gina, Queen of Condiments

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

may, this is my favorite holiday as well!! Part of why I am crazy enough to take it on the road. Especially this way my kids can experience a seder with people who know all the songs and are not afraid to sing them. Actually if this works we may repeat it whenever the calendar allows.

As for recipes and menus

I will have hard boiled eggs
    gefilte fish
    Matzo Ball soup
    brisket (possibly Molly Stevens' recipe with rhubarb if I can find any)
    A carbohydrate to be determined later, maybe mashed potatoes
    A veggie (gee i am so specific, maybe green beans briefly cooked with EVOO in the water and then salt and peppered. Although i also have a great recipe for green beans with lemon and hazelnuts
    fruit salad
    passover brownies
    macaroons?

-Robin

p.s. I have changed my mind, I need to find a recipe item that requires the Le Creuset 12 inch saute pan. My dad gave my moms, with the wooden handle away to charity without asking me. his would make that all better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azure blue 12 inch Saute pan

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

I'm loving this thread..Passover is a favorite holiday of mine...the best ever was our last at the old apartment; all the grandkids reenacted the story of the Exodus.

I still don't know who's all coming but I'm cooking.

Here is my full blown-menu:

- Hard boiled egg in salt water garnished with parsley
    - Gefilte fish and chopped liver (for the non-fish folks), horseradish of course both red and white
    -Chicken soup with matzoh balls
    - Brisket (onion pot roast version)
    - Green bean bundles
    - Potato kugel or roasted potatoes on onion bed
    - Flourless chocolate cake (a killer)
    - Chocolate, chocolate chip macaroons
    - Sponge cake
    - Fresh raspberries and/or strawberries

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

Amending that!!! The best was last year!! DD gave birth at home the morning erev Pesach to little Hannah as I sat there watching...the seder that night was a bit hap-hazard but we managed to accomplish the seder requirements while we ate in spurts and ooohed and ahhhed over her. Can believe she is going to by one on April 2nd.

• blubird
    16 years ago

Re: matzoh ball mixes - I've never understood the attraction to these - the sodium content in the mixes are usually sky high and you still need to add eggs and oil.

I've used the recipe from the back of the Streit's matzoh meal box from many moons ago - I think the current recipe is different - and the matzoh balls are dependably light and fluffy - no sinkers here - and it's super easy.

Matzoh Balls - makes 15-18 (can be doubled)
    1 cup matzoh meal
    1/2 cup water
    4 eggs, beaten
    1/3 cup oil (canola or peanut for Passover)
    1 tsp. salt (or as desired)
    dash pepper

I usually put the ingredients together the night before and chill in the fridge, but several hours before serving time will do fine.

Mix together the beaten eggs, salt (as desired), pepper, oil and water. Blend in the matzoh meal - mixture will be somewhat loose. Refrigerate. To cook - bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil and then reduce to a slow boil. With wet hands, roll the now solidified mixture into golf-ball size balls, drop into boiling water. Cover lightly (leave top slightly open) and cook for 15 minutes.

I like to cook mine directly in the hot soup - the matzoh balls acquire additional taste from the soup - but it does reduce the amount of soup.

They can be cooked and stored in the fridge several days in advance. I've never tried freezing them, though.

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

I forgot about the matzoh rolls! The recipe is simple.

Matzoh Rolls

Notes: These are a great alternative to matzoh for Pesach. The procedure is much like that of a pâte a chou pastry (cream puff). I made these for the first time for Passover 5762 (2002) and they were a hit. I dont remember where I got the recipe. They work for sandwiches too.

Ingredients:
    2 c. matzoh meal
    1 tsp. salt
    1 c. water
    1/2 c. canola oil
    4 whole eggs

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375˚
    Bring oil and water to a boil
    Put dry ingredients to a mixing bowl, stir to blend
    Add boiling oil and water
    Beat in eggs one at a time
    Allow to stand for 15 minutes
    With oiled hands shape about 2 Tbs. of mixture into balls
    Place on a well greased cooking sheet and bake for 50 minutes or until brown

Bubbe

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Variation on matzah rolls:

Olive oil and rosemary

OMG

• happygram
    16 years ago

I'd love some tried and true matzo kugel recipes...either sweet or not.

Thanks so much.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I've been a purist with those passover rolls which my mother made every year when I was growing up and I've carried on that tradition. Last year I made three dozen. This year, I'm going to be adventurous and take Jessy's suggestion.

Jessy, do you use fresh rosemary?

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Robin, so your Dad has that blue Le Crueset? If so, it's a lovely color and I think it would sooth many hurts.

Too bad about your Mom's pan, though. Sometimes Dads are just clueless, aren't they?

Annie

16 years ago

Happygram, I use this on the first seder, we always have Turkey so it goes, basically this is just a stuffing recipe using matzoh.

Mushroom Onion Matzoh Kugel

I soak the farfel in warm chicken stock, more flavor then the water. You can add celery to it, too.

3 cups matzo farfel )
    2 onions, chopped
    1 pound mushrooms, chopped (I use more)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    garlic powder to taste
    2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x12 inch baking dish.

In a skillet, saute onions and mushrooms (and celery if using) in vegetable oil. A little salt and pepper to taste.

Place farfel in a bowl and pour warm chicken stock on it to moisten and soften it for a few minutes. Then drain in a colander.

Beat eggs with a little salt and pepper and garlic powder and then mix it up with the matzoh. Add the sauteed onions, and mushroom to the bowl and mix well.

Pour it all into a greased casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or so.

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annie, No my dad doesn't have that pan. His kitchen ware is actually pitiful. Several years ago he had some roommates who recommended getting rid of the current stuff, including Le Creuset collection, and then took their stuff when they moved out. No I am just scheming. Although I probably will not try for that pan.

I forgot about the passover rolls. Okay they are on my list as well. Sigh. note to self, need a cookie sheet and parchment paper.

-Robin

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Well, maybe he could get you the blue pan as a thank you gift for cooking dinner? Hey, it could happen. (grin)

Annie

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know Annie, I just told him no to two folks he wanted to invite. As I toldd him I already bought the brisket and the farmers who I get my beef from will not be deleivering agian until Passover weekend. Also I want this to be a holiday of family and close friends. Although no close friends can come, I would invite them.

Actually I also told my dad about the pan, because I am shameless. He had asked what he should buy my boys and I don't have any great ideas yet. But i knew somehting I want;-D He was having trouble follwing the details and he said he was sure i would love it in red or any other color. I said sure, I could exchange it. He did tell me when I had my rant about my moms pans that they could be replaced. I said yes but they were expensive. He said they weren't when they bought them. Which of course is part of my point. Sigh

-Robin

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just found this recipe for spatzle made with matzo meal on the Williams Sonoma website. Crazy me is thinkign about making it for my seder. I need to make the purchase of a spaetzle hex worthwhile ;-)

-Robin

Spaetzle

Quick and simple to prepare, this pasta has a nice chewy texture. It makes a great presentation, especially when paired with brisket for a Passover meal (see related recipe at left). The shape of the spaetzle will vary depending on the size of the holes in your colander.

Ingredients:
    2 1/4 cups water, plus more as needed
    3 eggs
    2 cups matzo meal
    2 tsp. salt, plus more, to taste
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to
    taste
    1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    Directions:
    In a large bowl, whisk together the 2 1/4 cups water, the eggs, matzo meal, the 2 tsp. salt, the 1/4 tsp. pepper and the nutmeg until smooth, adding more water as needed until the mixture resembles pancake batter. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Fill a large pot two-thirds full of lightly salted water and bring to a brisk simmer over medium-high heat. Set a large bowl of ice water near the stove.

Hold a colander with large holes over the simmering water. Using a rubber spatula, push 1 cup of the batter through the holes directly into the water. Cook the noodles for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon or a mesh strainer, transfer the noodles to the ice water. Repeat with the remaining batter. Drain the spaetzle well in a colander with small holes so the noodles do not slide through. The spaetzle may be refrigerated, covered, for up to 4 hours.

Just before serving, in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the spaetzle and sauté, stirring frequently, until the noodles are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a warmed large serving bowl. Garnish with the parsley and serve immediately. Serves 6.

Joey Altman, Chef and Host of Bay Café, KRON TV.

16 years ago

That sounds good Robin! but seems like a lot of work the day of the seder. I copied and pasted, for during the week. I just make a matzoh stuffing the night before and pop it in the oven so it's ready to serve. Otherwise it would be like the year I forgot to serve the soup to 36 guests :)

I always forget something. Go easy on yourself, you'll be plenty busy anyway! You have a spaetzle gadget?

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do indeed have a spaetzle gadget. It is really fun to use (well Sebastian loves it). You just put the spaetzle batter in a turn the crank. It makes it super easy. The first time I made spaetzle I used a colander and it was a lot of work. However it does go perfectly with brisket. The recipe says you can make it 4 hrs ahead and then you saute before serving. I am betting I can do it the day before, and i am even going to test the theory.

You know while i will be busy I will have more fun if I am excited about a new recipe. really it is an illness of sorts. I really need to write out a time table of what to make when, and what will need to be purchased. There is a store in NYC that sells Matzo Ball soup by the quart. I am thinking that may be one of my cheats.

I found this recipe as well:

Braised Fennel with Olive Oil and Garlic

Fennel is related to a group of herbs that includes anise, cumin, dill, coriander and caraway. In the vegetable world, however, fennel is recognized as having a taste all its own, one often compared to licorice.

Ingredients:
    4 fennel bulbs, about 2 lb. total
    3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 tsp. ground fennel seeds
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    2 cups water
    1 lemon peel strip, about 2 inches long
    2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    Lemon wedges for garnish

Directions:
    Cut off the stalks and feathery fronds from the fennel bulbs. Reserve the stalks for another use. Chop enough of the feathery fronds to measure 1 Tbs. and reserve some of the remaining fronds for garnish. Set aside. Remove any damaged outer leaves from the bulbs and discard. Cut each bulb into quarters lengthwise and trim away the tough inner core.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; do not brown. Add the fennel quarters and the fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the fennel begins to soften, about 5 minutes.

Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the water and lemon peel, cover and cook until the fennel is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fennel to a serving platter and keep warm. Increase the heat to high and cook until only 3/4 cup liquid remains, about 5 minutes. Discard the lemon peel. Add the lemon juice, then taste and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.

Drizzle the sauce over the fennel and garnish with lemon wedges. Sprinkle with the chopped fennel tops and garnish with the whole fennel fronds. Serve immediately.
    Serves 6.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Seasonal Celebration Series, Autumn, by Joanne Weir (Time-Life Books, 1997).

That recipe would justify my needing that pan I want. ;-) My dad loves fennel so it would make him happy. Plus I am sure it would taste good at room temp.

-Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: Spaetzle Hex

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm clipping that recipe too, Robin

Made my brisket yesterday here in CT...the house still has the aroma. My soup is made. I found I had enough in the freezer from a month ago. Yeah!

I have issues with the super market up here; last year they had a whole Passover section so I went to shop on Friday only to find they didn't bother this year. Only a scant few items. One brand of matzoh that I never even heard of. Only 2 matzoh meal containers. I was so insulted. I complained to the manager saying that I was embarrassed for them and it is shameful. There is a large Jewish population up here, I said. I decided not to shop there again and to talk to the congregation suggesting we send letters.

So, now I have to shop in NY for all the basics. Blech!!

• happygram
    16 years ago

This has become a family favorite among the picky eaters in our family. By the way, it freezes beautifully.

Passover Vegetable Casserole

6 T. margarine
    1 C. chopped onion
    1 ½ C. grated carrots
    ¼ C. chopped green pepper
    ½ C. chopped celery
    (You can use the food processor)
    3 beaten eggs
    1/8 tsp. pepper (or to taste)
    1 tsp salt (or to taste)
    10 oz pkg. chopped spinach (defrosted and cooked)
    ¾ C. matzo meal

Saute all the chopped vegetables except the spinach in the
    margarine till soft. Cook and drain spinach, squeezing it
    dry after cooking. Combine all the vegetables with all the
    rest of the ingredients. Bake in a buttered, Pammed, or
    greased 9 x 13 casserole for about 45 minutes in a 350
    degree oven. Cut into squared to serve.
    This freezes beautifully. If you double the recipe, be
    careful about doubling the salt and pepper.

16 years ago

That's sad, Bubbe, what an idiot that manager is and I don't get it if there is a call for the products. Only one brand of matzoh? I only get the Streits. Pink box. and I don't know wht :) Probably all tastes the same but we always went with Streits.

That is a cool gadget, Robin. Never saw one of those. I made spaetzle once a long time ago. I don't remember what I used.

Happygram, copied and pasted, that looks good, thanks!

I just got my Turkey from my neighbor's freezer. That's now in the frig, I usually forget to get it from them :) Three briskets, chicken fricassee with meatballs, and chicken soup in the freezer, made those last week. My MIL is coming this week, she'll help me with whatever is left to do. This will be nice because she usually doesn't come down for Passover.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

I've never made spaetzle before, and I'll be very curious to hear how yours comes out, Robin.

I've bought both kinds, Streits & Manischewitz, over the years and yeah, they're pretty much identical. I always buy a variety of matzos, egg, grape, white grape, whole wheat, and of course regular. This year for some reason the grape kinds were not available. I don't know why. So I bought a 5-pack of regular which I've never done before. Guess I'll have to make extra choco-matzo to use it up!

Made my brisket & boiled my chicken for soup yesterday. I hope to be engergetic enough to debone/deskin the boiled chicken tonight.

Nathan (my oldest son) was in Israel last year so he missed Passover with us, but he's coming home (from NY where he's attending Columbia) this year, on Thursday night and I'm very happy about that. He can help me cook on Friday.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

My variety here is very limited, if you can imagine, but I just bought Streit's matzoh, onion and poppy flavored? Is that OK, or is it going to be disgusting?

It's all they had, not even plain matzoh and I promised the boss matzoh with cream cheese. Yes, I know I'm Methodist and she's Catholic, but she loves matzoh with cream cheese.

I think Elery will be here Saturday, so I probably won't make the brisket since he's not a big beef eater. Maybe salmon cakes or chicken? Or maybe just a turkey breast, roasted, that would go well with Jessica's tzimmes.

Robin, I think if you can make the spaetzel in advance it would go wonderfully with your meal and like you, I really like to add new recipes, it's fun and keeps me on my toes.

Carol, make the most of your MIL's help. (wink)

Bubbe, I'd definitely be raising heck with that grocery!

Annie

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Talking about Ashkenazi vs Sephardic or Mizrahi traditions as we were on the Jewish Foods thread got me to thinking. I'm Mizrahi (a rather new term referring to Jews from the Middle East, Africa, Asia) and my traditions & foods are somewhat different than Ahkenazis whose ancestors hail from Eastern Europe.

But one thing in particular strikes me as extremely similar. We all seem to find great importance in serving FISH, CHICKEN and BEEF at our seders, and maybe in fact at all holiday dinners. Gefilte fish is an Ashkenazi creation and I never ate it as a kid. BUT! my mother always served some kind of smoked fish like smoked whitefish for example, at our seders, followed by chicken and beef dishes. She did the same at other holidays as well.

I never developed a liking for gefilte fish but others at my seder like it so I serve it but I also serve lox for us non-gefiltites. But the tradition stands. Gotta serve all three or it just ain't the same!

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Boo hoo I can't make my tzimmes because it has unkosher for Passover bourbon. Think rum will pass muster? Even tequila?

I like lamb for passover, kinda symbolic.

No gefilte fish at our seder. Not enough people eat it!

Enjoy Nathan, lowspark.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I would think rum in a tsimmis would be wonderful!...Dark rum...

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

"non-gefiltites" LOL

• jessicase
    16 years ago

I was poking around the web looking for passover ideas and greatly enjoyed reading your thread in the middle of the night last night. I'd love to try Renée's Matzoh Balls, but was wondering if there was a soup recipe to go with it. Ever since my grandmother died I try a different recipe every year trying to get back to hers.

Thanks!

FYI I'm in L.A. and am having 26 over on Sunday. Here's my menu if anyone is interested:

Husband's chopped liver with crispy matzoh bread sticks
    Hard Boiled Eggs
    Renée's Matzoh balls in Chicken soup
    Italian dressing marinated BBQ chicken (dont have enough oven space - and its yummy - making my own dressing with no chametz or cheese)
    Roasted carrots/parsnips/fennel (super easy in the oven with olive oil & herbs - tastes yummy)
    Roasted potatoes with rosemary & garlic (super easy in the oven - tastes yummy)
    Artichokes with Lemon aioli for dipping

Homemade chocolate covered coconut macaroons.
    Apple tart (gluten & wheat free)
    Strawberries & non-dairy whipcream

• jessyf
    16 years ago

COOL another Jessica. Welcome to our sandbox! Most of us play nice heh heh

Your menu looks great. Lots of chicken soup recipes out there, alez cuisines (sp?).

- chopped onions, celery, carrots, parsnip
    - chicken boullion base (telma cubes, about 2-3), few grinds of pepper
    - chicken parts - do a search here for chicken feet and don't get squeamish on us, its worth it
    - cover all with water simmer 45 minutes or so
    -fish out chicken feet
    - add tied bundle fresh dill and italian parsley last ten minutes of cooking

16 years ago

Hey, welcome, Jessica! Here's my Chicken soup recipe, I found this place a few years back when my Grandma had passed away and I was trying to duplicate her recipes for my kids!

Chicken Soup
    2 kosher chicken pullets (or one chicken and lots of wings.
    water to cover
    8-10 carrots -- sliced in chunks or coins
    2 leeks -- white part only
    1 large onion
    2 turnip
    2 parsnip
    kosher salt and pepper -- to taste
    3 celery ribs
    2 shallots
    bunch of fresh Italian parsley
    bunch of fresh dill

Peel and wash the vegetables. Rinse and clean the chickens. Put the chickens in a stock pot with the vegetables, and add enough cold water to cover it all. Bring to a boil. Skim the foam off the top. Lower the heat to medium. Keep it on medium for 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer soup for three hours or more on low heat. The longer it simmers, the better the flavor. Remove the chicken and vegetables from the soup. Keep the carrots and chicken meat. Discard the other vegetables. Pour the soup through a fine mesh strainer. Put the carrots and chicken in a separate container. Skim the fat when it cools. To serve, heat the soup with the carrots and chicken and add egg noodles or matzo balls.

This soup freezes well.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Finally I have a label, I am a "non-gefiltite." I think that's what I will say when someone asks me my denomination from now on!
    :)
    I'm a flexitarian non-gefiltite, lox and bagel branch.

• lowspark
    16 years ago

LOL, I've coined a word! wheeee!!!

Welcome jessicase! I'd love to see your recipe for crispy matzoh bread sticks and Roasted potatoes with rosemary & garlic.

I'm still undecided on what sides to make. I'm going to the grocery store on Thursday to pick up last minute stuff so I have to decide by then!

• jessicase
    16 years ago

Thanks for the soup recipes. I have a combo of about 4 recipes in one pot on the stove as I write. The house smells great. Also didn't hurt I that I just made a batch of schmaltz for the matzoh balls and it smells just like I remember the hallway walking down to my Bubbe's apartment. Hmmmmmmm. Wish she was here to smell it with me.

Anyone know if I make it today for Sunday night will it be ok in the Fridge or should I freeze it?

Here are the recipes requested:

Passover Crispy Sticks
    From the New York Times Passover Cookbook (Hope they don't mind my posting it)

1 large egg
    ½ cup water
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup sifted matzoh meal
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 tsp kosher salt

1. In a mixing bowl, using a beather, beat together the egg, water & salt. Gradually stir in the matzoh meal. Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
    2. With lightly greased hands, pinch off a ½ inch nugget of dough and roll it out into a pencil shape between the palm of the hand and a clean flat surface to make a thin strip about 1 ½ inches long. Place on a flat plate. Repeat until all the dough is used.
    3. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and add the dough strands, a few at a time, and fry until golden. Drain sticks and shake in a paper bag containing the coarse salt.

Makes 3 dozen.

The Roasted Red Potatoes with Shallots & Fresh Herbs recipe is from Recipezaar. Here's a link: http://www.recipezaar.com/183190

Happy cooking!

• lowspark
    16 years ago

The Roasted Red Potatoes with Shallots & Fresh Herbs recipe is from Recipezaar. Here's a link: http://www.recipezaar.com/183190

I made this recipe for the seder. It turned out wonderful!! I've been searching for a good potato dish for the seder, DS doesn't like potato kugel, and I've had trouble finding a good roasted potato recipe that is tasty and that goes well with the brisket which has a sweet sauce.

Baby, this is it! I'm going to add it to my yearly list of things to make. Everyone liked it and it was oh-so easy. Thanks for posting it!

Now, if I could just settle on a good veggie side dish other than asparagus. I like to serve two veggies, potatoes, & brisket but that third dish, a pareve veg dish that is tasty and that everyone will like is oh so hard to find. I'll keep looking!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Jessicase, I'm still chuckling over your husband's chopped liver.

He agrees to that? LOL

Sorry, it's late and I was already snickering over the non-gefiltites, now your husband's liver.....

Annie

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Wow! Jessy, we made that roasted potatoes recipe from recipezaar.

I've been roasted potatoes and vegetables for a while and like the recipe I've been using, but this one is even better. The difference is the addition of balsamic vinegar which works great - it adds a bit of sweetness and also helps disperse the herb flavors.