SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tufanewbe

What have I gotten myself into????

tufanewbe
15 years ago

I hired a contractor to do a bathroom remodel. He quoted me $2500 dollars because of previous work with him and one very project reference where he ended up getting the bid. I know $2500 is cheap, especially since most everyone else was twice as much. But relationships go a long way at getting price breaks right? and besides, in florida, the construction is so down that contractors are resorting to cannibalism to survive. Each other not the clients. Needless to say the project as been filled with delays, missed appointments and even a couple firings as people hired to do one thing or the other by the contractor were simply not up to the task. We gutted down to the studs,moved the fixtures around and 24 square feet to the original bath area. Did I say before this project began I thought I would regret it and my gut was screaming NOOOOO!!!. I digress. Yesterday, the tile guy came and took a look at the marble tile I got for the price of ceramic, I might add. and told me just for tiling alone he would charge $4500 dollars and to not tell the GC because he thinks my GC is cheap and would never agree to this price. I did not tell him he was right as my jaw fell and hit the dusty joint compound covered floor?

What should I do now? No one came today, no call from the GC, we have a signed contract. Is it time to start looking into getting someone else to finish the job?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm