SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

what's on your kitchen wish list?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

It's been a while since we've done a wish list thread, hasn't it? Have you gotten anything from your previous list? Have you learned of anything new that you just must have?

In the last few months I've gotten a vacuum sealer and marinator attachment (and quickly learned to use the named brand bags for a proper suck 'n seal), they were on my list for a long time. I also got a pressure cooker and a new vegetable brush.

I want (need!!)

dishes that I love

stock pots that aren't thin

better knives

a mandoline

that's all I can think of for now, but I may glean something from other lists!

Who's next? :o)

Comments (70)

• netla
    15 years ago

I've got a new KitchenAid mixer since last time. I have also got a bigger mortar and pestle: large, heavy and carved from granite. Here are some photos (click to enlarge):

I was unable to get my preferred colour - red - and neither did they have chrome or brushed steel, but I am happy with the glittery black that I got.

The mortar, pictured with its siblings.

On the current wishlist are several attachments for the mixer. I was able to trade a woman I work with the pouring shield that came with the mixer for an unused grinder, but I still want some of the other gadgets, like the citrus press.

I need a good blender. I am unhappy with the one I have now, but determined to use it until it dies.

Still on the wishlist is a new stove. The dream machine is one with gas cookers and an electric oven. I also wouldn't mind a new refrigerator, but both of these will have to wait until I can afford to redo the kitchen.

• acorn
    15 years ago

An oven mine died, I have been cooking everything cook top.

• Related Discussions

What's on your wish list?

Q

Comments (18)
    Some mentioned a while back that they could detect a slight scent on Apple Blossom, as well... but I couldn't smell anything. Jewel is the only one I've ever been able to detect a noticeable scent from. I didn't smell anything from the H x johnsonii I had at one time, either. I think it must be very relative to our individual ability to catch different smells... Then again, competition for my nose has been acres of roses, lilies, and other perennials, every growing season, for a very long time... some so overpowering that they drown out everything else, and some that occasionally waft on the breeze bringing a hint of a lovely perfume. "Autumn Damask" and many of our species type roses hold the awards for most scented, most perfumed, most likely to attract olfactory attention! It's really too bad that more Hippeastrum blooms don't have scent... though they do have size and color as their most attractive features to would-be pollinators.
    ...See More

What's on your Christmas/Hanukkah/Wintertime Gift Wish List?

Q

Comments (7)
    It has been a good year for me, finding all the tools I wanted/needed on SALE. Except the Maslin pan, of course, since it's always full price, but so worth it. My 40+ son came for a visit, helped me make Apple Pie Jam, and now wants a Maslin of his own! He's going to need a really big stocking. I've asked Santa for a pocket camera to take photos of what I bake and can for my farm's Facebook page and website. The Olympus Stylus actually has a setting for "cuisine"!!!! LOL MY SIL, the chef, gave me a little potato peeler with a ceramic blade - wonderful for apples too large or too soft to fit into the rotary peeler - it looks like a disposable shaver. On my wish list is a Kyocera Mega-peeler with a much wider ceramic blade that could also be used to shave cheese or chocolate, besides those huge Wolf River apples. The little peeler is on my shopping list for gifting my friends who cook, bake, and/or can, and a Side-Swipe blade for my DD's Kitchenaid stand mixer since she keeps drooling over mine when she uses it. I always love to receive a handmade/homemade gift of any type. Draw it, bake it, can it, knit or sew it - I treasure those gifts the most. Nancy, whose wish is for peace/truce/contentment for all
    ...See More

What quilty things are on your Christmas wish list?

Q

Comments (8)
    Our price limit is $100 per person and I've been trying to think of something to put on my list. What I really want is a Sweet Sixteen or a Accuquilter. ChaChing! But I finally thought of something - a light to go on the machine on my Grace frame. I thought of a bobbin winder, but keep hearing that they don't wind that well.
    ...See More

What's on your spring wish list?

Q

Comments (15)
    I just placed my 14th (15th? 40th?...lost track) order with Epiphytica. Ordered: EPC 7 archboldiana variegated EPC 959 hoya hybrid EPC 899 linusii EPC 117 megalaster EPC 863 buotii variegated EPC 929 vitellinoides x sp. UT-001 EPC 901 obtusifolia orange EPC 216 maxima (red corolla) EPC 742 mitrata splash EPC 838 nilotica EPC 946 aff. chewiorum (H 72) EPC 962 hamiltonirum (had this on reserve for awhile) EPC 766 hoya caudata gold (have one, love it so much, needed a second) EPC 701 dennisii gold ridge EPC 779 sp. EPC 779 EPC 202 sp. EPC 202 EPC 932 sp. EPC 932 EPC 473 sp. PNG-SV-435 EPC 668 sp. PNG-SV-436 EPC 486 sp. TN-99-023 EPC 897 sp. UT-217 EPC 850 sp. UT-218 EPC 851 sp. UT-223 ...and I put on reserve hoya platycaulis (EPC 657)!
    ...See More
  • hawk307
    15 years ago

Mustangs:
    Seems like I might have something to wave over your head,
    for a bribe. You better behave !!! LOL
    - - - - - - - -

I have all I need for cooking. What I need is some help with the cooking.
    Maybe a nice live in young woman. She doesn't even have to know much about cooking.
    You know , " On the job training."

I think that would be hard to find in a Restaurant Supply.
    LOU

• velodoug
    15 years ago

I just bought two more Chicago Metallic half sheet pans - bringing the total to three. After I get something that I've been wanting for some time it takes a while for something else to bubble up to the top of the want list. One good thing about having a small kitchen (64 sq ft) is that bringing in anything new means that something old has to go out - in the latest instance I put half a dozen assorted pans and cookie sheets on the "aging shelf" in the basement. The only thing I really want right now is a liquid soap dispenser so I don't have to handle the Palmolive bottle when I've been handling something like raw chicken.

--Doug

• Lars
    15 years ago

Kevin and I are shopping for real estate, and so we should be getting a new kitchen, which is what I really need. I have no more room for any more gadgets, and I think I have all the ones I need/want. The last thing I bought was a new cookie sheet, to replace one that I could not find. I also appear to need a 9x13" pan, and I was sure that I had one but cannot find it. Maybe it got too gross and I threw it out. Now that I have a much larger oven that works properly, I could use that size pan. I've been making do with 9x9" pans, of which I have several, and they will even fit into the toaster oven.

Lars

• jimster
    15 years ago

Like all of you, my wishes are simple.

I want my kitchen relocated to a different, bigger, better room which is well located and already has a quarry tile floor. The vacated space will be remodeled to enlarge a small bedroom and convert a half bath to full.

I need, not just want, a good gas range and new refrigerator.

That's a pretty reasonable wish list, don't you think?

Jim

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

Built-in electric oven for baking. I hate my new gas range for baking, with the gas coming on and off it is so uneven. I had better baked goods with my 30 year old electric built-in. I wish I knew then what I know now and I would have done my kitchen remodel differently.
    Clare

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

My list is fairly small at the moment, but it includes...

Kitchenaid ice-cream maker attachment
    Thermapen
    Cast Iron Tortilla Press
    Pastry Brushes.

Man, when I write it this way it seems so small that I should surely treat myself to the whole list... :-)

Oh, but wait. Then I forgot about the big ticket items -- new fridge to replace my wretched side-by-side... And a new oven that actually holds a temperature? Sigh...

Emily

• shaun
    15 years ago

I want a good toaster oven - that's at the top of my list.

Dehydrator
    juicer
    blender
    new cookie sheets
    Salad Spinner (still want one)
    A nice coffee maker
    New set of dishes would be good

I also want a new bare floor vacuum; something lightweight but good sucking power..... Jessy behave.

Any recommendations on the vacuum?? I don't want a cordless one. OH and under $100 would be cool.

• Lars
    15 years ago

Shaun, we have a Dirt Devil bagless canister vacuum cleaner, and I think you can get them for under $100. You never have to buy bags, but you do have to empty the canister and occasionally clean the filter. It's good for walls and upholstery, and it's also easier for changing attachments. It's not very pretty (for collectors), but it works well. We bought ours at Best Buy, but they might not have the best price.

Lars

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Shaun:
    I don't know much about the Dirt Devil.
    I bought a Bissell Power Force upright and never liked it.

You have to wear ear plugs to use it.
    I even got rid of the Bissell Rug Steamer.

The Hoover worked better and the parts didn't break.

I use a very old Kirby Vacumn . It has twice the suction Power of any Vac I've seen.
    There is a Dump Door underneath, below the Cloth Bag.
    It has every feature you can imagine, except a Meat Grinder.

They are very expensive now ( about $1200 ) but
    if you ever run across one; in an Auction or Garage Sale, grab it if you can.

I missed a newer one in an Auction for $12.
    If you do find one, remember who told you !!!

And if your husband wants to know why you are smiling in your sleep, don't tell him.
    LOU

• shaun
    15 years ago

Thank you both for your reccomendations.

Lou you're just so darned cute! :::pinching your cheek:::

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I knew I'd see something I forgot.... a pasta attachment for the KA mixer. I've done it by hand before and it wasn't that hard, but I'd enjoy the uniformity a machine can provide.

Foodonastump, that's not a bad idea. I should blow one check on knives and on good pots and pans. Then I would have them... and quality cookware saves money in the long run. It doesn't wear out, and it means I'd cook at home more than eat out. I don't know much about what brand to even look at for knives and pots and pans. I'm scared to get nice knives because I couldn't put them in the dishwasher! I have a decent Santoku knife (decent meaning it was 20 bucks and didn't come in the butcher block set, not nice by cooking forum standards) that I don't put in the dishwasher... I can't imagine having a whole set like that. Maybe I should go to Kohls and have a look around!

Shaun, I have a juicer, dehydrator, and salad spinner and never use them... maybe once every 6 months I'll use one of them. But, I want to have them "just in case". I need new cookie sheets as well. I have two air bake jelly roll pans that are in decent shape, but my actual cookie sheets have all rusted! The loaf pan too! Some how, those things just aren't fun!

Shaun, you have an Oreck, don't you? Did it come with the portable canister? Do you ever use the Oreck on bare floors? Lots of people like them for that. I'd say to stay away from Dirt Devil as the quality isn't there. Kirbys are great for wall to wall carpet, but they are not light weight and not designed for bare floors ;o) You lookin for a stick type vacuum or canister? Just move closer to Orlando and I'll come over with my machines and vacuum for ya and play with Ricky and the "new" kitty (how's he doing btw, and what's his name again?) :o)

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Bobby said: I should blow one check on knives and on good pots and pans. I don't know what one of your checks is but I'm guessing it wouldn't cover a "good" set of knives.

BTW, anyone know how much S&H is to send 10 knives from Florida to NY? Just curious!

• shaun
    15 years ago

Hi Bobby! Yes I have an Oreck. And yes it came with a portable canister. I do use the Oreck (big one) on the bare floors but it's so big and clunky. I just want a smaller lightweight one to zip zip the floors ya know? Something that will pick up kitty litter that escapes from the box and cat/dog hair.

I had a Swiffer Vac and loved it but the battery won't hold a charge anymore. I had that and used it quite often for 4 yrs so I guess I got my money's worth. But now I'm going to stay away from cordless vacs; because the batteries won't hold a charge after a while.

Oh the new kitty's name is Pumpkin and he's doing just fine. He and Ricky are best friends. Lucy Cat hates his guts tho and spanks him every time he gets near her.

• earl
    15 years ago

More room to put everything. I might even consider moving if live got longer instead of shorter. :-) My kitchen was designed for someone who only used a microwave for cooking.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Bobby, My statement about checks was out of line, no offense intended.

Sorry,
    Cathy

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathy, I don't think you could offend me if you tried... especially since I've met you and know the kind of person that you are! I'm (sort of) young and I haven't graduated college yet, so I'm not rich though I'm making more money than I ever have before... I was guessing about 700 dollars or so for a good set of knives which I could do in one week and still have money for a set of pots and pans. I could spend more, but for the amount of cooking/prepping I do, I'm not willing to. I don't need industrial stuff, just better than what I have. How much should I expect to spend for a good set (of pots and pans and knives)? I haven't even began to shop and I need to know at what price point quality begins.

Shaun, there's not a lot of great stuff out there as far as stick vacs go... and you're right about the cordless stuff. I would recommend you to try something that hasn't been on the market for very long called the Bissell Versus. It's too new to know much about and can't be stellar quality, but it looks impressive. It's corded and has a really unique nozzle. They're at Target and Wal-mart for about 80 bucks. I'll link to it below, check out the video! If you tried it and didn't like it, you could always get a refund! I just found a cordless Dirt Devil stick vac in the garbage in my apartment complex... it works OK and I'm going to keep it just for the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bissell Versus

• shaun
    15 years ago

Interesting looking that Versus, huh? I might go check it out in Target.

Thanks Bobby! You're the best!!

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I'm adding a good bare floor vac to my list now....thanks to y'all! I'll have to check some out now.

I really want a new wall oven, counter tops, and flooring. A total redo would be cool but that's out of the picture for now. Also, one of those mixers that AnnT has, cant' remember the name of it tonight. I love my KA but would like one that handles more dough. A maid would be cool too..LOL!

David

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Thank you Bobby, really. I was worried in the middle of the niht about my statement offending. Try $1,298 for the basic set of knives + steak knives!

Shaun, I have two worthless cordless in the closet. I got a third (I have kitty litter cleanup issues), it's terrific so far. Very powerful, 18V; is that a lot Bobby?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cordless Vacuum

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

"Try $1,298 for the basic set of knives + steak knives!"

Mustangs - Exactly what "basic" set costs $1298? Yes there are sets out there that cost that much, but I wouldn't call them basic. Either they're a lot of knives, or they're exotic knives. African whateverwood might look great, but it's not a requirement to be a good knife.

Take a Wusthoff Classic set for instance. Maybe not the trendiest set anymore but certainly a good one. $300 can get you a basic set that you can add a couple pieces to make quite complete, and stay well under $700.

Great steak knives are nice to have, but somwhat of a waste of money if you ask me. If you need a top quality knife to cut through your steak, you should probably be investing in better steaks, not better knives. LOL!

• shaun
    15 years ago

Kitty Litter clean up - ack!!! I just hate it. I bought a special litter box shaped like a Dome with a small ramp with steps leading into it. Still the litter comes out on their paws.

Then I put a rug under it so the litter will stay in the rug. But the litter still gets on the floor.

I hate stepping on litter on the bare floors. Right now I'm using a push broom to sweep all the litter up into a little pile and then using a whisk broom and a dust pan to pick it up. A vacuum would be so much easier.

I don't want to use my house/carpet vacuum to pick up the litter though. I'm weird, I know.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woah... I had no idea they would be that much! I could do it on a busy week (commission only), but there woudn't be anything left for pots and pans! Not to mention I wouldn't be willing to, that's just too much money for knives in my opinion! When I think how many timshare presentations I'd have to book for those knives, oy vay! The set I have now was 20 dollars at Big Lots... they are all serrated. I got it when I first moved into my apartment and really didn't have any money. So, ANYTHING else would be a vast improvement. How much would a few good quality stock pots be? I know you all recommend not to buy sets... Plus I'm happy with my frying pan so I wouldn't need one of those.

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

I totally agree with foodonastump -- I can't imagine what basic quality set of knives would cost $1,300. I love my Wusthoff knives, they are excellent quality, and were a far cry from those kinds of prices. Bobby, I think with a little shopping around for deals you could do very nicely for yourself buying a good set of knives AND a few key quality pots for not far over $700.

• pkguy
    15 years ago

Who sez you can't do bare floors with a Kirby!!!!!
    You can do anything with a Kirby from sawing wood to scaling mountains LOL
    Actually you can do bare floors by turning the brushroll off

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

Space is the problem for me. If I could give up the counter space and cabinet space I might want any number of new toys. But I already have more than I can store easily. I did just buy a microplane rotary grater.
    Have to admit I'm attracted to the newer bundt pans, with the simple flutes, and also the fancy ones.

One thing I would have room for. A friend of mine gave my daughter a first-rate Shun knife as a wedding present. Whenever I visit I am struck by how wonderful it is to use. But I'll continue to use the knives I have, some of which are decent.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    15 years ago

My daughter did have cats in the house and to keep their kitty litter contained, she had a wooden chest, like a toy chest and had her husband make an opening in one of the narrow ends for the cats to go in and out of. The kitty litter pan was put in it and when she cleaned it all she had to do was lift the lid. The edge of the opening they edged with some sort of soft molding. I am not sure now what it was. It worked really well and most did not know that was where the litter pan was. It was in the utility room near the back door.

Sue

• amck2
    15 years ago

Dare I admit that I was able to take advantage of the Thermapen sale?

As a past customer (thanks to this forum..) I received an email notifying me of the sale. I love my original Thermapen so much I was carrying it back & forth from home to the lakehouse on weekends, and I was always nervous about forgetting to bring it home. Didn't plan to buy a second one, though, and then came the sale....I mentioned to DH that we could send it to DS as a housewarming gift (he/fiancee recently bought their 1st home in Denmark, they cook a lot & it's not too large to ship abroad) & I was shocked to hear him say that we should keep it and get them another gift. DH would give the shirt off his back for our kids, but apparently he is even more taken with the Thermapen than I am!

Since the holidays I have purchased a baking stone for bread & pizza making - would not want to be without one now. Oh, and I got the peel, as well.

I also ordered the bulk, precut sheets of parchment paper from KA that everyone here raves about. Another great find.

I'm pretty well set for now.

Seriously, though, if you're considering one, the Thermapen was really worth the money. It works like a charm.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You all are making me want a Thermapen now... though I love my probe thermometer.

Shaun, I was in Wal-mart getting vacuum sealer bags and noticed they had the Bissell Verus marked down to 50 dollars! Maybe it's not selling as well has they'd hoped!

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

For those of you who have the Thermapen, do you have the super fast one with the thinner tip? Is it really fragile or not too bad?

I'm curious about what the sale price was. If someone could post it, I'm sure everyone else can cover their eyes.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh dear, right now I don't want anything because I just don't have space.

When Elery and I each sell our houses and have one together, then I want a much bigger refrigerator, my old one is an 18 cubic foot Amana with a top freezer and I bought it used about 15 years ago, LOL. I also want a good stove/oven, Elery's is really nice but mine is a $400 Crosley which works OK but the oven fluctuates quite a lot. Let's see, more space for kitchen stuff, a second kitchen in the basement for canning, some dishes that I actually like (although I haven't decided what that is yet), and the ability to eat anything I want without gaining weight.

Hey, that's kitchen related, isn't it?

Annie

• amck2
    15 years ago

foodonastump - The sale price on the Thermapen was $69.00. It normally sells on their site, and the King Arthur site, for $89.00.

Mine is just the garden variety model - not the super sleek one. I find that it's still way thinner than the Polder digital thermometer I was using before. The holes it leaves in food are almost imperceptible.

What I like best is how fast it comes to temperature and how accurate it is. DH loves it for steaks on the grill. I often overcooked chicken breasts because I wanted to make sure they were safely done. My old thermometer would tick, tick, tick away counting up from 150, 153, on & on till I reached the desired temp. With the Thermapen I stick it in and voila! whatever the temperature is, it shows up immediately on the LARGE PRINT screen.

I love a product that lives up to the hype!

• Fori
    15 years ago

Am I allowed to say new appliances, cabinets, counters, and floor?

Or heck, just a nanny. I can't get anything done these days!

• nan_nc
    15 years ago

New cabinets. With drawers for the pots and pans! And new countertops that actually fit the bases! Just got a new (used) washer and dryer..and they're at the end of the kitchen..so that counts, doesn't it? Now the almond, old, rusty range needs to go..and also the old, rusty, almond dishwasher. Then I can do a complete purge of all my kitchen gadgets and utensils and be free. Free, I tell ya!

Oh, BTW, I could use a few decent knives. Not great, just decent.

• KatieC
    15 years ago

My list is fairly short. DH is a tool junkie and when he ran out of tools to buy for his shop, his attention turned to the kitchen.

A decent blender was on the top of the list until last week. We'd looked at a 750W Breville and decided we didn't need a $200 blender. Then we found a 1000W on wootoff.com for $119. Wowie-zowie that thing can crank out a smoothie....I may have to go back to blended margaritas (which is what killed my last blender).

Now all I can think of that I need is a couple of heavy-bottomed saucepans that won't warp and a small, round pyrex casserole dish.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Pkguy:
    I'm glad there is someone else who knows what a Kirby Vac can do.

Glad also that I don't need all the high priced gadgets.
    Guess I'm happy with all the gadgets I have.

Knives:
    I have a 10" Chef's Knife by International Tool Edge Co.
    a boning knife and a few other smaller Chefs Knives.
    Oh ! a Paring knife.
    They all hold a good edge and I touch them up with,
    a Lierftlessermeiser Steel ( or something like that )
    Am I allowed to say that !!!

How did my Grandmother manage with just a Bread knife and a Paring Knife ?
    Everyone had the same, at that time.

Annie :
    You can't have another kitchen in the basement.
    You're not Italian !!!

I can't keep up with all this reading.
    I quit !
    Lou

• bunnyman
    15 years ago

I really want my housekeeper back. Not much overtime at the factory so I've not been able to afford to have her over. It was so nice to come home to a spotless kitchen. Now I'm back to my working single person clutter.

I have a cheap set of steel knives... chicago something. Sharpen them on a ceramic stone before each use and they slice pretty good. A Gerber blade I bought twenty some years ago if my favorite.... done everything from kill a deer to open cans with it. Requires a dimond file to sharpen it but it gets a wicked edge... even after using it as a can opener all during college. It was about $40 back then... no idea what a new one costs today.

: )
    lyra

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Just about the Thermapen sale - I did call after reading Loves2cook4six's post, but they were firm (really firm) that the sale was over. I asked them if they will have a sale on Thermapens again in the near future, or even annually. They said that the recent sale was the only one in 7 years, so that a sale in the near future was unlikely. Sigh.

The last thing DH needs to hear, given the economy right now, is that I have a yen for a Thermapen. So that secret is just between us friends on the Cooking Forum! (I am so grateful for this Forum). I must admit that my $12 meat thermometer works fine, just not very quickly. That Thermapen will have to keep until the economy turns around, which I am hoping is not too far off.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd like to cross something OFF my list. I no longer want a mandoline. I got myself with the santoku knife AND the box grater today... I don't need the risk of anything more dangerous!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Shannon, Thanks for reporting back about the Thermapen sale.

Bobby, Good for you! Let us know how you like both.

Cathy

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I said I "got myself" I meant I hurt myself on them! I got myself WITH the box grater and knife that I already own... I cut myself twice in one day so that's why I don't want a mandoline. I don't need to perform any amatuer amputations!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

OOOOch! Sorry Bobby. I guess it's a wise decision then.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I made a trip to Target last night. I got a heavy stainless steel stock pot. My stock was warping on the inside, the bottom was peeling off, and the plastic handles were loose and melting off, and the screws in the handles were rusting, plus of was feather light and scorched everything... I can't believe I used it for 3 years! I also got the Oxo Mandoline... I changed my mind! The only thing I've done with it so far is make crinkle cut potatoes, but it was fun. I got an air tight canister for flour as well... no good knives yet though! I'm going to Kohls soon to look at their dishes, and when I do, I may glance at the knives too.

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

That old stock pot sounds like a gem!

I need an air tight flour container. Only problem, it needs to hold 50 pounds and be food safe. Hmmm.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Bobby, crazy I know, but I saw some decent dishes at Big Lots. I thought of you and looked at them closely. If nothing else it could hold you over until you find what you really want.

I know there are several Big Lots in your area, I just don't know how close to you they are.

• JoanM
    15 years ago

Bobby, you should check TJ Maxx and Marshalls for knives. I collect Henckels and I always wander around those 2 stores. I found a 7 inch Henckel Santoku for $20 recently. Much cheaper than the dept stores. It is hit or miss which size and brands you will find. That is my new favorite knife.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me Cathy. I think the ones I have now will be enough to get me by until I find the ones I love... I don't want another intermediate set! I go to Big Lots every 6 months or so... great place for cleaning supplies. Some of my slotted spoons and spatulas came from there as well. Good place to buy them cheap since I always end up melting the handle or the business end of such things. Never paid much attention to the dishes, but I'll have a look next time just for fun.

Thanks, Joan. I was wondering if I should just buy a few good knives instead of a whole set. I'm relatively pleased with my Farberware Santoku knife, but I did see a Henckles Chef's knife at Target for 30 dollars last night. How do I know if that would be a good one? I'd like a good chef's knife because I can rock it when I slice. Apparently, Santoku kives are made to be sliced straight down with, I want something I can rock easily. If I got a good chef's knife and a good paring knife, I think I'd be fine as far as knives go. Even though I can buy a whole set of nice knives, I don't want to spend excess money unnecessarily given this economy. I'd rather have the security of longer term savings! I know I wouldn't every knife in a set. I saw the Miracle Blade commercial the other day and was pretty impressed until I read reviews that they rust! I do love a good infomercial gimmick though!

• Terrapots
    15 years ago

I'm not getting another thing until I get a new kitchen. I need a new sink with full volume running hot water, self cleaning oven, gas cook top, rearrange countertops, cabinets, new stove, better baking center, adjustable shelves, better lighting and/or skylight. I think our water pipes need to be replaced. Well, I can dream, can't I?

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

I would love a pizza peel the most. I really don't need anything else, although a panini press would be so cool. Hmmm. I have promised myself that I would not spend any money. I am trying to save for a rainy, well in Michigan, a snowy day.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert