SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happylady1957

Fear of cooking corned beef...

happylady1957
12 years ago

Hello All,

So in a fit of feeling hospitable, I've gone and invited 30 people over for St. Pat's day. Of course I'd like to serve corned beef and cabbage, but I am feeling quite intimidated about cooking 15lbs of the stuff - and that's just the meat.

I've been told that baking the corned beef is a good idea, but I don't see how that would get rid of some of the saltiness. The local gourmet supermarket around here wants $3.89lb. I am actually toying with the idea of buying a couple of huge slabs of Boar's Head corned beef (at $6LB and heating it up somehow, just so I don't have to deal with all of this.

Thoughts? Yes, I know I'm chicken, but I would like to have as little stress as possible and enjoy the day.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Comments (46)

• lindac
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don't bake.....makes it dry, stringy and salty.
    Corned beef and cabbage is boiled baked in a lot of liquid.
    You will need more than 15 pounds for 30 people.
    I would get a giant covered roasting pan....or a nesco or 2....put the meat into the container and cover with water, add the spices it came with or add your own....for that abount a couple of tablespoons of celery seed, one tablespoon of celery seed, 4 or 5 bay leaves and 4 or 5 onions cut up.
    For just 5 or 10 pounds, I put it in a Dutch oven, bring to a simmer then transfer to the oven and cook at about 215 degrees for 4 or 5 hours.

Because you are doing such a large amount, I would cook the potatoes in another large stock pot on the stove top. Peel enough potatoes.....for 30 you will need 10 pounds, add to the stock pot, ladle off a couple of cups of the water on the meat and add to the pot, add enough water to cover And turn the meat over while you have the oven door open. Will take about 30 to 40 minutes to cook the potatoes.
    You need to do carrots....likely need 5 or 6 pounds of carrots....not the baby ones, peeled and cut in half, do the same as the potatoes. By this time the meat should be getting fork tender.
    After the carrots have been cooking for1 5 minutes, remove the meat from the roaster, put on a platter (or a cookie sheet) and tent with foil. Add cabbage wedges to the water the meat was cooked in.....for 30 you will likely 3 heads of cabbage.....crank the heat and cook the cabbage until it's crisp tender.
    Slice the meat....put the veggies on another platter and serve it up.....with lots of soda bread.
    Good luck....that's a lot of cabbage! Traditionally called a New England boiled dinner......but often New Englanders include boiled beets.
    Linda C

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, linda C, for your good advice. Anyone else? What about my idea of using the Boar's Head pre-cooked corned beef? For anyone not familiar, Boar's Head brand is here in the Northeast, and fairly high quality

• Related Discussions

Corned Beef question

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi Everybody, First, just to be clear Saltpetre (Saltpeter in the US) is NOT Prague Powder, PP#1 is a 6.25% mixture of SODIUM NITRITE. Saltpeter is POTASSIUM NITRATE (sodium vs. potassium, nitrite vs. nitrate). Frank is correct, Potassium Nitrate is not used very much any more, that is why Prague Powder is also known as "modern cure" and "pink curing salt". So, nothing wrong with using Saltpetre. You can get it at an old style druggist. If not, you can order it overnight from most major drug stores. I ordered it from Walgreen's, they sell the Humco brand using the chemical name of Potassium Nitrate. If you ask for saltpetre, any druggist under the age of 60 will probably look at you like you are nuts. Ask them to look it up in their computer. It is NOT food grade, which means it does not get inspected by the USDA for consumption, but it is produced in a clean chemical process. Everybody uses it, though if you call Humco, they will tell you that they can't endorse it for curing meat (with a wink). The chemical reaction that occurs has been known for years; the Nitrate in Potassium Nitrate breaks down into Nitrites due to enzymes and bacteria, which in turn create nitric oxide, which is what binds to the hemoglobin molecule in the blood in meat and keep it pink. This same reaction occurs naturally in the body through breathing and the cardio vascular process. If there is a problem getting nitric oxide into the blood extremities lose their pink color and turn gray. So most modern cures that require short curing times rely on a Prague Powder #1, which uses Sodium Nitrite to skip the step of going fron Nitrate to Nitrite. You also need less chemical to get the same cure, so DO NOT SUBSTITUTE IN RECIPES WITHOUT CORRECTION!. If you were curing sausages that need months to cure, you use a different formulation that has both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. The nitrite goes to work fast, while the nitrate does the normal breakdown over time into nitrite and then nitric oxide (this is PP#2). Keep in mind that the added function of the nitrates/nitrites is as a preservative. So the meat can be kept longer without the bad bacteria giving it their "funk". :) That's the start of the process, along with salt, good bacteria and mold, that allows raw meat to turn into dry cured sausages like salami without refrigeration. So if you want to do this in the future, just order from any spice house or sausage supply online, compare prices, and order some Praque Powder #1 or "pink salt". The remainder above the 6.25% of Sodium Nitrite is just table salt. They die it pink so that you don't mistake it for regular salt. Since you use so little, a 4oz bag goes a long way. And if you want to experiment, you can use any leftover saltpeter to make smoke bombs, flares, and gunpowder. ;) Hope this helps a little :)
    ...See More

Corned beef in a Dutch oven in the oven?

Q

Comments (11)
    I had great results last Sunday at 350 degrees. I heated a little oil in the Le Creuset on the stove top, browned the patted down (paper towels) corned beef for a couple minutes all around, poured in a bottle of beer and water to about half way up the beef, and cooked it with the lid on for 3 1/2 hours. It was perfect! Tender, juicy as can be, and not at all dry. I did this for hash so threw out the water. If I was preparing cabbage, pots, and carrots I would dilute the very strong broth with water and divide into two pans; one for potatoes and carrots and another for the cabbage, and cook each for approx 20 minutes until done. This method was an experiment vs the very long and slow techniques that I've used in the past. This is a winner and will be repeated again without a doubt. Michaelp
    ...See More

Cook's Country Corned Beef & Cabbage

Q

Comments (17)
    DC, I do something similar with our corned beef. My husband is on a salt-restricted diet, but he & I dearly love corned beef. So when it's on sale for St. Patrick's Day, I get a hunk and soak it for two days, changing the water at least 2 times a day. Then I cook it in fresh water in my slow cooker. Once the water comes to a simmer/boil in the slow cooker, I change the water again. I know I'm losing flavor, but these are necessary steps for his health's sake. Yet in spite of all that water, the corned beef tastes pretty good -- much milder than regular but tasty nonetheless. So we can enjoy a corned beef & cabbage dinner and corned beef sandwiches for lunch the next day. And no swollen, painful feet or congested lungs from over indulging.
    ...See More

What to serve with corned beef tongue?

Q

Comments (9)
    I think I'll sub buttered cabbage for the kraut...mom/DD not big fans and I'm out of my homemade kraut anyway. So I'm thinking at this point, sliced tongue (warmed), buttered cabbage (thinly sliced like kraut, quick saute'), good rye bread and brown mustard. Eat as is or make a sandwich on your plate, your choice! I may toss in some red pepper and broccoli or sliced brussel sprouts for color. Otherwise, it's a pretty drab meal! Alexa, I love the omelet idea for leftovers the next morning! Deanna
    ...See More
  • lindac
    12 years ago

Can't go wrong with the Boar's Head.....but expensive!!
    Then buy one hunk of corned beef for the flavor for your cabbage and veggies.
    Ask the vendor how to heat....but I would put it on a rack in a roasting pan with a half an inch of water in the bottom and steam it. in the oven.
    Probably would need at least 6 1/2 pounds of meat......buy 7 1/2....leftovers are good.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

There is really no skill required for cooking corned beef. You don't need to season anything, and there is no danger of over cooking.

Corned beef is $1.78 a lb here in NY.

dcarch

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I agree, corned beef requires little skill and it's nearly impossible to overcook it. Not impossible, but nearly.

Here it's $1.69 a pound on salt for points, $2.19 for flats. I prefer the flats, there is less of that layer of fat.

I just stick mine in the crockpot, cover with water, cook all day. I did that long cooking time because I worked all day and that was what was convenient, but the meat would be a little overcooked for my taste, it would shred rather than slice nicely.

LindaC has a really good idea with the big Nesco roaster, you could do all of the meat you needed at one time in one of those, cook at about 350, covered with water, for several hours or until tender, then add in the vegetables of your choice. I can't imagine corned beef without cabbage, but I don't want mine "crisp tender". I want it cooked or I want it raw, but not half cooked, LOL.

I like the vegetables to taste like they've been cooked with the corned beef, so for that many people I'd probably cook the potatoes/carrots/cabbage separately, but then toss it all in the liquid left in the roaster after you've removed the cooked corned beef for slicing. Let it soak up some of the flavor, then dish up the vegetables to serve on the side.

Oh, and don't forget you need either Irish soda bread or some good dark rye. Here we like the rye better, although it's not Irish by any stretch.

Serve it with cold Irish beer if your guests are beer drinkers and don't forget dessert. I'd probably go with an apple based cake, although I've seen that dark Guinness chocolate cake and it looks good. Since I don't like beer, I probably wouldn't like it, but it looks dark and chocolate-y.

Annie

• lindac
    12 years ago

If you put it into a roaster at 350 you will be boiling it....much lower....the goal is just a bare simmer.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

LindaC, it's a matter of perspective and time, lower will take longer. When I do it in the oven I cook at 350F because I'm usually baking the bread along with it. Lower and slower will make corned beef so tender it'll fall apart into shreds, which many people want. I like mine to stay firm enough to slice nicely, so I cook higher and faster (about 2 hours) and utilize the remaining oven room for other items.

Since a Nesco roaster is basically an oven, I use the same temperature as I do in the oven.

Again, it's a matter of personal preference, just as it is with the "crisp tender" vegetables, which I refuse to eat. I've always "boiled" it, because that's what happened when you made "boiled dinner"!

Also, I like to put mine back in the oven with a glaze made of brown sugar and mustard and bake a while longer, still at 350F, until it gets a nice glazed crust.

Annie

• lindac
    12 years ago

So tender it will fall apart.....only if you cook it forever.
    Cooking it at a sturdy boil makes it tough at first.....then you have to cook it longer to tenderize it.
    But as you say to each his own.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

LindaC, you're right. She should definitely do it your way.

Annie

• angelaid
    12 years ago

I have never in my life had a "dry, stringy and salty" corned beef.

Oven Roasted Corned Beef

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
    Put 1" water (I use beer) in the bottom of your broiler pan.
    Place corned beef, fat side up, on the rack above the liquid.
    If a spicier flavor is desired, sprinkle the seasoning packet (or some pickling spice) over the corned beef.
    Cover tightly with foil.
    Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
    Remove from the oven. Loosen foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

• cathrugg
    12 years ago

I never baked corned beef before, I will have to try it! I usually boil it in a big stockpot, it never comes out as good in my crockpot.

I know cooking for 30 seems overwhelming but I think that corned beef & cabbage dinner is actually one of the easiest dishes to make. Lots of prep work with the chopping & peeling but once that's done, it's just a matter of letting it boil.

This is only my opinion but...I would be disappointed if I was served coldcut/deli corned beef if I was invited to dinner for corned beef and cabbage. I know Boar's Head is premium deli meat but it's just not the same. Plus you need the broth flavoring from the corned beef to flavor the vegetables, otherwise they will be too plain.

(I would not express my disappointment to the hostess, everyone should be gracious for the invite and the work that goes into the planning and prep of being invited to dinner regardless of the meal.)

Good luck and have fun!

• beth4
    12 years ago

Yesterday I invited my parents over for dinner, and for the first time ever, I cooked our traditional Irish dish of corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, & carrots. My corned beef came out tender, juice and just delcious.... And not salty.

I put the corned beef (fat side up) in a turkey roaster, and poured all of the package juice into the roaster. I added enough water to make 1-inch depth. I put the spices into cheesecloth bag and dropped them into the water. I put the lid on the turkey roaster and popped it into a 350 degree oven, and roasted it until the beef was very tender. I initially allowed 1 hour/pound, but when I checked it wasn't yet done so I kept roasting it until it was fork tender.

I brought the pan out and let the corned beef rest in the juices for 15 minutes. Then I sliced it lengthwise (with the grain), and put it back in the empty turkey roaster. I covered the corned beef (so very tender!) with aluminum foil and returned to a 200 degree oven where it stayed warm.

I poured the juice into a large sauce pan, placed into that my potatoes and carrots and added enough water to cover. I discarded the cheese cloth bag. After cooking the potatoes, I added cabbage to this broth and cooked that.

I put the potatoes into the turkey roaster, next to the corned beef, and covered with the foil.

10-15 minutes before serving, I removed the til foil to let the corned beef brown a bit in the 200 degree oven.

I poured the liquid into a gravy boat and we used that on the potatoes. And the dinner was delicious!

I recommend you roast the corned beef early in the day so you can ensure it is done and tender. It was so easy to put it in the roaster and forget it!

Good luck with your party.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Beth, that sounds delicious. I also like the vegetables cooked in the broth from the corned beef, it just wouldn't be right without it!

Annie

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

This wouldn't help the original poster, but here's the way I've been cooking corned beef lately:

PRESSURE COOKER CORNED BEEF WITH CABBAGE AND POTATOES

A pressure cooker makes this traditional St. Paddy's day meal much easier. Ordinarily, a corned beef brisket would take 3 or 4 hours to cook. Here it's about a third of that, and most of that time you're not doing anything. --From a meal-planning standpoint, this is a very convenient dish. A packaged corn beef brisket stays good in the fridge for several weeks, and a cabbage has a long storage life as well, so you can have those items available in your fridge for cooking at the last minute. You can make it with just cabbage, or throw in some root vegetables like potatoes and carrots. Either way, it's ridiculously easy and good. The leftovers (if there are any) make excellent sandwiches or hash.

4 cups water or other liquid (see Variations below)
    2 large bay leaves
    3 to 5 lb corned beef brisket
    4 lbs potatoes, scrubbed
    1 small (2 1/2 lb) green cabbage

Put the water in a 6 qt or larger pressure cooker. Add the bay leaves. Put corned beef in pressure cooker, fatty side up, along with any juices from the package and the contents of any spice pack that may have been packed with the beef. Don't worry if the brisket doesn't fit on the bottom; just let one side point upwards along the side of the cooker. (It's going to shrink a huge amount, probably 50%.) Arrange the potatoes on top of the beef.
    Lock the lid in place. Over high heat, bring the pressure cooker up to high pressure and adjust the burner to keep it just at high pressure. Pressure cook it on high for about 55-60 minutes for a 3 pound brisket, 65 minutes for a 4 pound brisket, or 70-75 minutes for a 5 pound brisket. Then allow the pressure to go down naturally (that is, don't vent the cooker or put it under cold water)--that might take as long as 15 minutes. During that time, trim the cabbage: remove the outer layer or two of leaves, cut the cabbage in half (pole to pole, not through the equator). Cut the dense core out of the stem end of each half and discard. Cut the halves in thirds lengthwise (along meridians, not across the equator). Once the pressure is down, open the cooker and remove the potatoes to a platter, covering with aluminum foil to keep warm. Put the brisket on a platter, fatty side up. If there is less than 1 cup of liquid in the cooker, add sufficient water to make 1 cup. Put the cabbage in the cooker, put the top on, and return the cooker to high; once on high, cook for 3 minutes. You can bring the pressure down quickly now, either by venting the pressure cooker or by putting the cooker in the sink and running cold water over it. Open the cooker and scoop out the cabbage, allowing it to drain, and place it on the platter.

Don't try to carve the corned beef until it has rested for a while--it'll shred to bits. Remove a lot of the surface fat from the beef by scraping it with a blunt instrument like a teaspoon. Carve by starting at one corner, carving the corned beef across the grain--otherwise it'll be stringy.

Guinness stout goes very well with this.

Variations: instead of water, use stout or beer or any combination of those three liquids.

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

I've done corned beef both ways. Baking is my preference but simmering is delicious also. I've not had any problem with dryness, stringyness or saltiness with the baking method.

12 years ago

Yes, baked corned beef is great. besides, if you read the label, most corned beef makers pre-tenderize the meat with papain.

Try this. After you have done the corned beef, don't waste the liquid, use it to make corned pork or corned chicken.

dcarch

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    12 years ago

Plan for LOTS of shrinkage. Also, cutting off a large amount of fat.

You are very ambitious!

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, I've bought the corned beef (12 pounds) and trimmings, and plan to use a turkey fryer to cook it outside. An added bonus to this is that it will minimize the smell of the "scent" in my house!. I've also ordered a six foot sub from a wonderful local place, and will put out some dips as well. Some friends will be bringing dessert, and we'll have the beer covered, as well. Thank you all for the wonderful advice. Because you were all so reassuring, I do feel less nervous now! Blessings to you all!

• angelaid
    12 years ago

You're going to fry it?

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

I's assuming you are going to simmer the corned beef in the turkey fryer outdoors. Great idea.

My sister does seafood boils and corn on the cob in turkey fryers for large groups.

Teresa

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Fried is one way I'd never considered cooking corned beef, LOL. Heck, I've even corned my own beef a couple of times. That is definitely not worth it, BTW.

I also assume that she's going to simmer the corned beef in the turkey fryer outdoors, which IS a very good idea.

Leftovers make great corned beef hash too, if you have any leftover. Above all, have fun, the Irish wouldn't have it any other way.

Annie

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi All!

Well, we simmered the corned beef in the turkey fryer, and it turned out so well! I got lucky with the brand that I bought, and it wasn't even overly salty. We started the party with a six foot sub, dips, etc. Then watched the parade, which happens to go right passed our house, then had frozen margaritas, more beer and the corned beef and cabbage. We would like to do it again next year, but that turkey fryer was at capacity, and we'd like to invite more people next year. I'll have to figure that one out!!

Again, thanks for all the great advice!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Glad it turned out well....next year you may have to borrow another turkey fryer!
    Did you do potatoes, carrots and cabbage all in the fryer?
    Linda C

• annie1992
    12 years ago

So happylady really IS a happy lady. (grin) I agree with LindaC, borrow another fryer next year and do two. I wonder if you can rent those things?

Olychick, I also baked mine, but I used my small Nesco,I didn't use a cooking bag but I'll keep that in mind for my next try. It was sure good anyway, sliced nicely, wasn't dry to too salty and I have enough left over for corned beef hash.

Annie

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda C ` I did the potatoes, cabbage and carrots in the fryer as well. Really came out well! I think next year I will save myself the bother of having to peel the carrots by using the cute small ones in the bag.

I am going to keep my eyes peeled for an additional turkey fryer. We bought the one we have at Sam's for about $75 I think, but it was several years ago. We've never used it to fry a turkey! We bought it to make mass quantities of corn on the cob, hot dogs, and whatever else!

• lindac
    12 years ago

I'll bet that filled up that fryer really well! LOL!

Try fryign a turkey.....it's really really good!.....and while the oil is hot you can finish up with fried potato wedges and all sorts of breaded veggies!
    Try Craig's list for another turkey tryer.
    Linda c

• happylady1957
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda C - I originally thought I'd use it to fry a turkey, as well, but then I saw the price of all that oil, and knew I wouldn't be reusing that oil, due to how much time it would be before we did another one, and all the mess of straining, etc. We've heard fried turkey is fantastic - never had it!

12 years ago

Frying turkey can be a very dangerous thing.

Make sure you check out youtube first.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: frying turkey

• angelaid
    12 years ago

Paranoid much? Deep fried turkey is really good. We do several a year. If you have any common sense at all, it's not "very dangerous".

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I've still not eaten deep fried turkey, but Elery's son got a fryer and told everyone on both sides of the family that he'd fry a turkey, he'd have a picnic so everyone could try it, and then anyone who wanted to fry one of their own could use the fryer. Six people showed up with turkeys, LOL, and everyone pitched in on the oil.

So, if you have a family that's interested and want to do turkeys for family members to take home, it's not quite as expensive.

I think nearly anything is dangerous, if you aren't careful. I can low acid vegetables, meat and fish. I could kill my entire family with botulism or the pressure canner could blow up, so I guess it's dangerous. So is driving a car, feeding a full grown bull donuts out of my hands, riding horses (remember Christopher Reeve?). Farming is the 4th most dangerous profession in the United States, after commercial fishing, flying airplanes and logging. I don't think I'm going to stop walking, driving, riding horses, canning or farming. You've just got to be careful and know the risks.

So go ahead, fry a turkey! But Dcarch is right, you have to be careful....

Annie

• Teresa_MN
    12 years ago

Prior to even purchasing a turkey fryer check with your insurance company to see if a fire is covered. First of all there are no turkey fryers that are UL Certified. Along with the fact that the number of fires related to turkey fires doubles every year due to their popularity - some insurance companies will not cover the damage if the fryer was used improperly. For example, you should not use one on a deck. I read a story about a guy that used one on his deck and went in to get a beer. The whole house burned down. The fryer was being used on wood and the homeowner admitted to leaving it unattended momentarily. Number of dollars he was reimbursed for his home - zero. I asked my insurance agent about the story. He said due to the number of fires related to this appliance every year, companies re-evaluate their policy every year on fryers. There are fires even when the fryer is used properly.

A turkey done in a fryer is excellent. Do I think it is worth the cost of the oil and the risk? No - but that's just my opinion.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I'm really glad this came up, although it's off thread. Amanda wants to have a 30th birthday party for David, and I've got a cement patio. She's wanting to open the pool before May 22, LOL, it's 80 here now, I can't convince her that it might snow next week...

Anyway, I might haul out the turkey fryer, that would be a good way to feed a lot of people. That, and some ribs in the smoker. Oh yeah. A Nesco roaster full of baked beans and a tub of potato salad and we've got a party.

Like I said, you just have to be careful.

Annie

12 years ago

The warning was issued by Homeland Security, as well as by many agencies.

I don't know if many homes are equipped to handle a big oil fire, which is very different than a regular fire.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Homeland Security

• lindac
    12 years ago

don't forget all the other stuff you can fry while the oil is hot! Potatoes, corn fritters, onion rings, chicken legs and wings. You can only fry about a 12 to 14 pound turkey, and that won't feed a lot of people....so best add lots of sides.

If you pay attention to how much oil you need to cover the bird and don't add more than that and make sure your turkey is thawed and keep the touch football game and toddling kids away from the hot oil, it's not dangerous.
    And if you carefully strain your oil, you can probably fry 6 times with one $35 jug of oil.
    Linda C

• arley_gw
    12 years ago

Alton Brown had a Good Eats episode dedicated to frying a turkey. Lots of good safety tips in that episode. It's available on YouTube in three parts, the first part of which is at the link.

One problem is that other people may impose on your good nature. Some years back, my sister and her husband set up a turkey fryer and cooked a few for themselves and and friends; word got out, though, and more and more people asked them to fry one for them as well. They had to stop doing it after one Thanksgiving when they fried thirteen turkeys. So you may have to learn how to say 'no'.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to fry a turkey

• annie1992
    12 years ago

LOL, Arley, I can't even imagine trying to fry 13 turkeys.

LindaC, we'd also fill the smoker, probably, maybe with pork butt or ribs, so we'd have other protein sources to go with the turkey.

Since we are frying, I'm imagining there would be some french fries and probably fish happening too.

But first, we'll see what the weather is on May 22. It's pretty early in the year and she'd like to have the pool open (another very dangerous activity, I know, remember Amanda drowned in that very pool and still has seizures although we were lucky enough to recussitate her). I had to chuckle, it might be 40 again by then and that would be some darned cold swimming in an unheated pool!

Annie

• lindac
    12 years ago

I remember on thanksgiving when my son's friends prevailed on him to fry their turkeys while the oil was hot.....and arrived with their birds in plastic....unwrapping them in the kitchen where I was making pies and emptying out the giblets etc....then when they were done borrowing a baking sheet to take the bird home.
    The next year he made rules....bring the bird, between 12 and 14 pounds, well thawed and ready to pop into the oil....and bring something to take it home in....And one guy arrived with a 16 pound bird still icy in the center...he went home to tell his wife to heat up the oven!

And don't forget, a burner with 4 legs is worth the extra cost, as is a good deep fat thermometer.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I deep fry turkeys all the time - they are always a hit. I just set up only on very level grass, gravel, or concrete not under or too near any kind of structure. Make sure no children or pets can come close.

I've tried all kinds of methods and recipes. If no one is allergic, I find peanut oil gives superior results, worth the cost.

The best recipe I've found, which is totally off the charts delicious is Emeril's. Salt/cayenne rub the night before. I put in a turkey size bake-in bag to control the mess, then into a cooler. Next day, inject with his seasonings. This is not too hot or spicy, just amazingly good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Emeril's deep fried turkey

• annie1992
    12 years ago

thanks, olychick, it never dawned on me that there would be a recipe, I figured just dunk it in as is.

Annie

• bbstx
    12 years ago

Because of this thread, I bought and cooked corned beef brisket last week. It was wonderful!! Very tender and very flavorful. I wondered why I don't cook them more often.

Because of this thread I learned to buy a "flat." Until this thread, I did not know there was a difference, or even a choice.

I opted for the long simmer in the oven, rather than the bake. I wanted something that would take little of my attention because I was in the middle of making the "car bomb" cupcakes. Rather than cooking the veggies with the brisket, I cooked them separately, mainly because I wanted to make skillet-roasted potatoes (not a fan of boiled potatoes).

We got 2 meals out of it, then I got a corned beef sandwich and to finish up the "crumbs," I made a dab of corned beef salad to munch on with crackers.

I ♥ CF

• bbstx
    12 years ago

I don't know what that scramble of letters is at the bottom of my above-message. When I posted it, I thought it was a big red heart. So much for my html skills.

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

It is a big red heart when I change the encoding. :)

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Eileen, it's a red heart for me too, when I change to "uni-code"!

So, you see, bbstx, you're better than you think at that!

Annie

• pink_warm_mama_1
    11 years ago

HappyLady 1957: To avoid peeling carrots, next time purchase organic ones that just require a bit of rinsing and ends chopped off.

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

Corned beef is nothing to lose sleep over... BUT it usually has serious "shrinkage" during cookiing... sometimes almost half the size. It's one of those things that I'll dust off electric knife to slice REALLY thin.