SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Anyone here live near Nashville, TN? (Old house question)

rosemaryt
12 years ago

Okay, this one's personal. ;)

Old Hickory (Tennessee) was the site of a major DuPont Munitions factory about 1915, and Penniman Virginia (near me) was also the site of a major DuPont Munitions factory (same time period).

In the early 1910s, someone at DuPont created eight specific designs of homes for workers at their munitions factory, and those eight designs were used again and again at different Dupont locations in Hopewell, VA, Dupont, WA, Ramsay, MT, Muskogee, OK and Old Hickory, TN.

When Penniman was torn down, many of the houses at the old munitions factory were moved to Norfolk (my town), and in fact, we ended up with more than 50 of the houses from the munitions factory, and these were original "Dupont Designs."

Old Hickory (Tennessee) has ALL the same houses that Penniman did, and I'm trying to learn more about the houses in Old Hickory, so I can identify the old Penniman houses that were moved to Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Portsmouth and Newport News).

I'm trying to find more info on Old Hickory, and/or a contact there. And if anyone here wants to snap a few photos of Old Hickory today, I'd be profoundly grateful. I have specific addresses of the homes in question. I've seen them on google, but the images are VERY poor.

Here's a picture of one of our Norfolk houses, compared to a picture of one "Old Hickory's" Dupont House. The vintage pic of "Old Hickory" is on the left, and the contemporary picture of the house in Norfolk is on the right. This is only ONE design. There were EIGHT designs total.

It's possible that we have many more than 50 of these houses. All that's known is that, of the first WAVE of houses removed from Penniman, more than 50 came to Norfolk.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Oh, here's a picture of one of our Norfolk houses (moved from Penniman in the 1920s) compared with a vintage image of a house from "Old Hickory."

Pretty cool, isn't it?

Rose

Here is a link that might be useful: Chasing down a mystery

Comments (4)