SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fanner

Anyone waxing wood floors anymore?

fanner
13 years ago

I see there are several older posts regarding maintenance of waxed wood floors. I am looking for tips and advice. Our first floor is all Oak flooring and the second floor is all maple (all 100+ years old) and I have come to the conclusion that it is waxed with most likely no other finish underneath. They need some sprucing up where the carpet is not protecting it. Some posts I read look like it is recommended to try to buff out all of the old wax and start over and other advice I received was to just give the flooring a good cleaning and then re-wax.

Here are the questions that I have:

If just a good cleaning is necessary as preparation, what is a safe way to thouroughly clean a waxed wood floor?

If I need to remove the old wax, how?

What wax is recommended? It looks like there are paste waxes, waxes that claim to "clean and wax" at the same time and liquid waxes.

Do you just pour or smear(for the paste) it on and then what?

How often does the wax need to be re-applied, or is it as needed depending on the traffic in any given area?

Keep in mind that I live in small town USA and would prefer to use products that are readily available. If this is something I will be doing a few times a year, it would be nice to use products that I can get at the local hardware store. We do have a place that I can rent a buffer and pads from.

Any specifics would be greatly appreciated. I realize that techniques can be as individual as a finger print, but I can possibly combine ides if anyone out there has any. Thanks so much for your input!

Comments (5)