SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

My computer - virus? crashed? not sure

User
14 years ago

I debated whether or not to post this....

I can function on a computer to do what I need to do but don't know much else about them. I normally don't fall for junk stuff but believe I failed to do so last night.

I don't remember if I had the Lowes web page closed yet or not but I was literally getting ready to shut my computer down and all of a sudden my C drive opened up and I got a bunch of pop ups saying my computer has been infected and under attack. "x amount of worms and x amount of trojans were found. You're personal information is at risk, etc." So in a panic I immediately tried to x it out. It was asking me to run a scan. I probably made the mistake by actually clicking run. I got a pop up like always that said are you sure you want to continue, I clicked cancel. There was also a box that had all these issues 'contained' you could see there was a bunch listed but I couldn't scroll down, it was grayed out. I also noticed on the left hand side it had an IP address, something else, and location named a place a good 30 min. drive from me. ? All this happened fast I don't really remember what order. I finally got smart and realized it didn't say McAfee, which is who I paid for virus protection, and called my poor Dad at 11:00 at night. He told me not to click anything (too late), alt ctrl delete and shut down, restart and run a full scan. Once I rebooted the full scan wouldn't go through. This has happened before. Seemed to be stuck at 1% with 1257 items scanned. The other time I noticed this a day or so later while I was on the computer it started running the full scan automatically. I might have it set up to do that but IMO if I click "full scan" it should freakin do just that. I canceled and clicked updates to be sure I had them all . My computer got stuck and just sat there. I think I did alt ctrl delete again but this time my screen just went black and my mouse arrow remained white. I could move the mouse around but see nothing else. I pulled the plug, rebooted, did a quick scan and it found nothing. I attempted to run a full scan again but it seemed stuck at 1257 items. I canceled and went to shut down, hit the start key and got stuck again. Frustrated I pulled the plug and called it a night. Grumbled all the way back to bed. And I don't know if McAfee is a 'good' virus protection or not (IMO it shoud've caught that but whatever) there was a 3 month trial with our computer and I just ended up renewing it.

When my Dad had back surgery last year and did some work from home. He had the same type of thing happen to him, all he did was click the x to close it and it ended up wiping out his hard drive! At the time his work was paying for some fancy schmancy virus protection that was costing them a lot of money. They basically told him he had a choice not to click on it, he did, and for a fee of like $60 an hour they could try and walk him through it. He told them to pound sand and somehow fixed it himself.

I didn't have anything real important saved. My email is web based, pictures I have most stored elsewhere, games I could care less about BUT I do have my ITunes for my IPod.... our home address and all that registry info is in there. All I'm concerned about it my identity. If it crashed my computer, fine. I'm trying to look on the positive side and not allow this to wreck my day or days stressing about it. There are worse things in the world. At least if I lost everything I don't have to organize my photos anymore! When we got the computer around Christmas I did a system back up thing. I don't really know what it was. It was recommended and I used three disks to do it. Funny, DH at the time couldn't understand the importance of doing so. ...

I'm going to contact McAfee anyhow because I want to know why my full scan isn't working right. Again, maybe it's my settings. I'm not convinced that was from last night. All the icons are on my desktop still there.

What should I do? How concerned should I be?

Thanks for listening to me ramble. Trying not to be grumpy and stressed................ Ha, to add to it, this morning I went to brush my teeth and realized my bottom retainer wasn't in my mouth! I always put it in right before bed and take it out in the am before brushing me teeth. I totally panicked thinking I SWALLOWED it! Turns out I left it on the end table in the LR (yeah I know, gross/cringe. :P )after eating a gummy worm last night. *Phew*. THAT would've been much worse I think.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!