SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nsf798

How to teach son to be good big brother & friend

nsf798
17 years ago

I'm so fed up with my 8 year old. His little sister will be four in two weeks. She worships the ground he walks on and he is always so mean to her. I tried talking to him about it this morning and he started crying & said I was hurting his feelings. His little sister went & got him a favorite stuffed animal to make him feel better. I just don't know what to do. I have no clue what to say to him. I'm so tired of him bossing her around. He tells her how to play, what to think, what to say.

I've noticed he plays with other kids this way too. We were at the swimming pool & a good friend of his was there. But after a few hours the friend tired of my son being so bossy and wouldn't play with him anymore.

Our neighbor boy is five and he is always wanting to play with my son. My son will go & play with him for awhile, but when the neighbor stops doing whatever my son says, he gets tired of playing with him. Eventually the neighbor boy ends up playing with my daughter and they play pretty good together. That really upsets my son. And he will walk around pouting that the neighbor won't play with him.

On the fourth of July we went uptown to watch fireworks and a friend of his was there. He sat with us during the fireworks and they got along great. I think they got along so well because that kid was kind of quiet and was more of a follower, so he let my son take the lead and it didn't bother him.

I just don't know what to do. I don't know where to go for help with this. He's always had lots of friends at school. I'm afraid he's getting worse & what if he starts school (he'll be in third grade) and drives all his friends away being bossy.

Any advice?

Comments (16)