SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

potluck breakfast items

Terri_PacNW
16 years ago

I was asked to help provide breakfast foods for the Classified Staff (aides, secretaries, janitors and lunch room staff) on Tuesday..However..everyone was already signing up for bread type items..I wanted to do something with eggs or meat in it..but it has to be safe to serve at room temperature or be in a crock pot..

Give me some ideas please folks!

Comments (20)

• gardenguru1950
    16 years ago

I've had no problem serving this for potlucks at room temp:

CRESCENT SAUSAGE & CHEESE SQUARES
    Serves 8

8 ounces refrigerator crescent rolls
    8 ounces brown and serve sausage -- sliced
    2 cups shredded cheese
    8 eggs -- slightly beaten
    1 1/2 cups milk

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Separate rolls into two large rectangles. Press into 13 x 9 pan to form crust. Seal seams completely.

Place sliced sausage over crust. Sprinkle with cheese.

Combine eggs and milk and pour over cheese.

Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.

NOTES : Precooked and well-drained Italian sausage can be substituted for the brown-and-serve and with mozzarella, it's an Italian version.

Use Jack cheese and 2 tablespoons of salsa mixed in with the eggs for a Mexican version.

Joe

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Perhaps a couple of these, cut into small wedges. They keep well at room temperature for many hours.

Ingredients for 4 servings:

3 medium potatoes
    3 large eggs
    1 onion
    salt 1/2 teasp & pepper to taste
    olive oil
    Italian parsley, chopped (optional)

I use a 7-inch non-stick pan as it's easy to fill, making a nice high and rounded tortilla which is easy to flip over.

1. Slice potatoes lengthwise once, then slice both pieces thinly into half moons. Chop onions into 1/4 rings.

2. Coat the bottom of the pan with oil and when hot add potatoes. Keep turning so they do not burn or go brown.
    When golden, remove from pan and set aside in large bowl.

NOTE: Some folks prefer to gently boil or steam the potatoes for 5 - 10 minutes rather than fry them. I've seen it done both ways and I also like to do this.

3. Put chopped onion in pan, if necessary add a little more oil and sauté until soft, without being dark brown. Remove from pan and add to potatoes in bowl.

4. Beat the eggs in a small bowl, add salt & pepper and chopped parsley, and pour over potato & onion mixture in bowl. Turn gently to coat all.

5. Add 2 TBS oil to pan and when hot, pour in the egg, potato and onion mixture. Run the edge of a sharp knife or spatula around the rim of the pan while the egg is
    setting to loosen the edges. I also poke it several times in the middle to let some of the runny egg seep down to the pan. Don't let it get too dark or burn.

6. When the edges are set and the middle is still half runny hold a plate over the top and flip pan and all over on to the plate and gently slide it back into the pan.
    Don't overcook as the centre should still be juicy.

7. Let cook a minute or two more on that side, then slide it out onto a plate.

8. Cut into wedges as a luncheon dish, or into small squares with toothpicks to be served on a buffet or as a tapa.
    Or keep it whole to take on a picnic.

The edges should be fat and firmly rounded. If you've never tried making one before, start with a small non-stick pan and when you're an expert move up to a larger pan. A small 7 inch pan will make a nice luncheon omelette for two.

You can also add finely diced ham to the mixture..

SharonCb

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Sliced ham always goes over well. Fried bacon too. Cured meats will hold at room temp.
    We "potluck" at church a lot and it seems that there's always a shortage of meat.

Quiche would work. Could be meat and/or veggie options. Very good at room temp.

Deanna

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I immediately thought about a crock pot breakfast casserole that I have made. It works well for a large group. Also nice to have it all done and ready to go in the morning, so perfect for taking somewhere. I think I found it on the Internet probably 5 or 6 years ago.

Crock Pot Morning Casserole

1 bag (32 oz.) frozen hash brown potatoes

1 lb. of bacon diced, cooked and drained or 1 lb. cooked ham, cubed

1 medium diced onion

1 green bell pepper diced

1 1/2 C. shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese

1 dozen eggs

1 C. milk

1 t. salt

1 t. pepper (more or less to taste)

Place a layer of frozen potatoes on the bottom of the slow cooker, followed by a layer of bacon then onions, green pepper and cheese. Repeat the layering process two or three more times, ending with a layer of cheese.

Beat the eggs, milk and salt and pepper together. Pour over the Crock pot mixture, cover and turn on low. Cook for 10-12 hours.

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ladies and Joe.

• Tracey_OH
    16 years ago

The ubuiquitous sausage balls are always a hit. My DH takes them every time they have a work breakfast.

2 c Bisquick
    1 lb packagae sausage
    1 8-oz package shredded sharp cheddar
    about 2 T milk
    dash dry mustard (optional)

I let the sausage soften on the counter a little while, then mix everything together with the kitchenaid. Shape into balls and bake at 350° for about 25 minutes (I check the temp with an instant read thermometer).

• lindac
    16 years ago

A casserole, taken from the oven and popped into a cooler lined well with newspapers, covered with towels will stay steaming hot for hours.
    Linda C

• obxgina
    16 years ago

I made this for guests last 4th of July and it was a hit!

Ham and Tomato Pie

Ingredients
    1 (8-oz.) package diced cooked ham
    1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 4 onions)
    1 (9-inch) frozen unbaked pie shell
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup half-and-half
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Garnishes: fresh basil sprigs, tomato slices
    Preparation
    1. Sauté ham and green onions in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until ham is brown and any liquid evaporates.
    2. Brush bottom of pie shell evenly with mustard; sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Spoon ham mixture evenly over cheese, and top with single layer of sliced tomatoes.
    3. Beat egg and half-and-half with a fork until blended; pour over tomatoes. Sprinkle evenly with basil, pepper, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
    4. Bake on lowest oven rack at 425° for 20 to 23 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve; garnish, if desired.
    Yield
    Makes 4 to 6 servings

• shaun
    16 years ago

I know you said you wanted to do something w/eggs or meat, but what about a Fruit Pizza? It looks so pretty and it's so refreshing. I got this picture from GroupRecipes.

1 roll(18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
    1 pkg (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
    1/3 cup sugar
    4 cups assorted fresh fruit such as strawberries, bananas, kiwi, blueberries, etc

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place dough on round baking stone and cook 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.

For topping, combine cream cheese & sugar. Spread over cookie dough, then place fruit on top.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda, Thanks for the information..but in this case, It has to sit out for a few hours. People will be going in out over that time nibbling. I'll drop off just after 8, and then I'll return at 11.

Shaun, I love fruit pizza's myself..but when I looked at the list there was lots of fruit and baked treats already listed.

Hence why this time I wanted to go with some protein heavy dish or dishes.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

What about some homemade biscuits and a crockpot of sausage gravy?

• stacy3
    16 years ago

This one is from glenda on the RE - I haven't made it yet, but a few over there have - and you can leave out the raisins...

This is a tried and true breakfast cookie recipe!! - glenda on RE

1/2 cup butter softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    10 bacon strips -cooked and crumbled
    2 cups cornflakes
    1/2 cup raisins

Cream butter and sugar
    Beat in egg, flour and soda
    Stir in bacon, cornflakes and raisins
    Drop by rounded Tbl 2" apart on ungreased pan
    Bake 15-18 minutes until lightly browned
    Cool 2 minutes before removing from pan
    Store in refrig
    We like to heat them slightly before eating. Enjoy!!!

• khandi
    16 years ago

What about mini frittatas or deviled eggs or mini quiches?
    Like someone mentioned, sliced ham would be nice.

• trixietx
    16 years ago

My first thought was a breakfast casserole, but what about bacon roll ups.

I have made these several times and they are soooooo easy.

Form and seal crescent rolls into a rectangle. Lay thin sliced bacon and top. Roll up jelly roll style and slice thin, probably 1/4 inch and bake at 350 until brown. Simple, easy and good at room temp.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oooh Stacy...Glenda's Breakfast Coookies..LOL They just don't appeal to me..tee hee...But I know they get rave reviews over all these years.. Oh and Thanks for the DUH! moment..LOL I did that one a few years ago and it was a huge hit..I had to pass out the recipe to the biscuits x5 or 6 people. ~That didn't even cross my mind this time around.

Gina, I missed your post.. that Tomato Pie sounds amazing..I'll save that for this summer for ME!

For this particular day, Nancy's Crock pot casserole wins..With as busy as I am right now..that will be perfect..put it in at bed..and deliver in the morning..I bought an extra 18 pk of eggs from Costco because of it. And I'll pick up a hunk of good deli ham on Monday.

But don't that let you all stop the posting..I'm sure there are others gleaning off this post!

Oh and Nancy...is that shreds or cubes?

• sands99
    16 years ago

Scottish eggs come to mind [hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage] or sausage links wrapped in pancakes tied with bacon.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

My SIL brings this to potlucks - she served it last time we were out there and it was delicious.

EGG CASSEROLE

1 lb. sausage, browned
    12 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 cup milk
    1 cup cheese
    3 slices bread cubes

Mix together. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. If you keep it in a covered casserole in one of those quilted casserole covers, she says it says really warm. T&T recipe, but not by me - my SIL, another fantastic cook.

DonnaR/CA

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Terri, I use the shreds. Hope it goes well.

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Nancy...It sounds like the perfect recipe to me!
    I love everything in it!

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    16 years ago

okay just about time to put it together..I'll report tomorrow...