SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delairen

Floating floor installation over tongue and groove subfloor help

delairen
15 years ago

My husband and I are in the midst of a kitchen renovation, and could really use some assistance. We have a 1961 ranch style home with a raised foundation and 1.5x4" tongue and groove subfloor with 48" spans. Because of the span, we decided to go with a resilient floating linoleum (not vinyl) flooring with a cork underlayment instead of tile. We have already layed down 1/4" plywood underlayment.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find a signifigant amount of information about this style of subfloor, and what kind of preparation it will need before laying out our floor. The subfloor is in good shape, considering it's age. We had thought that we would use self-leveling compound to smooth out any inconsistencies and prepare the surface, however upon researching it, we've discovered that SLC is not recommended for wood subfloors, nor is it particularly user-friendly for the DIY'er.

We were thinking instead of using wood putty to fill in any gaps on the plywood, and then laying the cork directly on top of that. Does anyone have any better ideas or suggestions than that? What should we be doing to prepare the surface and what are any disadvantages to our idea? How do you check a floor for levelness, and to what degree should we be pendantic about it?

Thank you!

Comments (3)