SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Not really decor, but I need help choosing new mattress

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Our pillowtop is about 15 yrs old, I told DH for our 25th anniversary this fall I wanted a new one but I'm ready to go shopping this week. I don't know how I'm going to get through the summer. I'm in perimenopause and even with AC set at 71 and ceiling fan going I wake up in the middle of the night so hot I can't sleep, even if I was comfy when I went to bed. Last night was so bad I laid down and then went right to DD's room and her antique bed, b/c even with her in it, it was cooler than mine (and DH wasn't even upstairs yet!). I think the pillowtop is holding my body heat in, even with high thread count cotton sheets. And DD has a waterproof mattress pad (with cotton cover)!

I really need sleep - spent 4 nights at fancy hotel in Boston with my mom and DD, king bed, I would start the night there (DD in the middle) but then move to saggy plastic roll-away cot they brought in for DD (that she refused to sleep in). At least that was cool (to begin with) - right by window and AC. But 2 hours of sleep followed by 4 hours in the cot does not add up to 6 hours. Not that I'm sleeping any better at home. Though last night slept with DD 11 til 6:30! I usually wake up about 5:30 (sunrise).

So is there a good cool mattress that I can put flannel sheets on in the winter and still be comfy? I've heard about "cooling gel" mattresses, don't know who sells them and price range/support (I'm a side/tummy sleeper, DH is mostly a back sleeper). Tried searching for a "cooling mattress topper" like a memory foam topper but reviews are mixed, they're $180 and we need a new mattress anyway.

Comments (9)