SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

My cat is dying (take 2)

kellienoelle
10 years ago

Sorry to bring back up a gloomy topic, but family tragedy seems to have struck a few of my friend's families so I don't want to call attention to my own struggle when compared to the loss/illness of a parent. I'm welcoming a place to vent.

A month or two ago, there were several GW members who lost their pets, me included. Her death was sudden, yet (hopefully) painless and peaceful. I have another cat, they were pals. We got Diva as a kitten and Cameron was her surrogate mommy. If a cat's heart could break, I swear that is what prompted what we are now facing. Long story short, while she was always petite, now she is skin and bones, a shadow of what she used to be. I took her to the vet 10 days ago and she weighed 3 lbs 6 oz, which indicated a 25% weight loss from her baseline. He thought she wasn't liking her hyperthyroid food and told us to give her whatever she would eat. We basically set up a buffet for her, but she continued to decline. I took her in today and she weighed 2 lbs 1 oz. Yes.....just over 2 lbs for a 14 year old cat. His recommendation is to give her subcutaneous fluids and syringe feedings twice per day. We did this tonight and I just feel horrible about it. She is so very weak, but still musters up the energy to fight us while we are essentially force feeding her and sticking a needle through her skin. Even when we aren't doing that, she just looks so miserable and I feel like it violates everything that I am about. Until about 4 years ago I was an ICU nurse. Half of my job felt like torturing old people who probably preferred to die with some dignity and grace but their loved ones weren't ready to let them go.I swore I would never do that to a loved one. Yet here I am. The vet thinks that if we can get her a little push, she may have some life in her yet. I asked what her long term prognosis is and he admitted that she will eventually need to be put to sleep due to kidney failure, but this may give us 3 months, 6 months, 1 year. I always thought it was fortunate that we could make these quality of life choices for our pets and never doubted that I would make the right choice for them, yet here I am. She was a little spitfire, 4 lbs of purr and claws and I hate so much to see her like this. I think we decided to do this until Saturday (we have a follow up appointment then) and continuing only if she rebounds.....but a part of me really hates myself for what I am doing to her now.

Anyway, thanks for letting me air my thoughts. I know that many of you have been through this.

Comments (41)