SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jocoman

Optimizing Efficiency of New System

jocoman
14 years ago

Hi all. I'm an avid reader of the forums but this is my first post.

I had a 5 ton American Standard dual fuel heat pump/NG split system of the communicating variety installed a few months ago and have been pretty happy with the results from a comfort perspective thus far. I have spent a lot of time doing research on this site (and others) post install that I wish I had done pre install for ways to optimize the efficiency of my system. Unfortunately shortly after moving into this house my A/C died and I needed to get something quickly and before I had an opportunity to tackle my weatherization projects.

My house is a 2 story colonial in Overland Park, KS (built 1997) with 2500 sq. ft. of living space and another 1200 sq. ft. of unfinished basement that does get supply heat since we spend some time down there (workout equipment, etc.). I have high ceilings and many windows (32 to be exact). The house faces south and is insulated according to 1997 area standards with more attic insulation on the to do list.

The system I purchased is a Heritage 16 2-stage heat pump (Model #4A6H6060C1000AA), Freedom 95 3-stage furnace (Model #AUH3D120ACV5VAB), Coil (Model #4TXCD064BC3HCAA) and the American Standard required thermostat ((Model #ACONT900AC43UAA). All components are 5 ton capacity and communicating models. This system replaced a builder grade Lennox 5 ton furnace and A/C (no idea of the model) and was attached to existing ductwork that seems to be able to handle the load pretty well based on information gathered from this site. I probably need more return and a better filter which I'm having done hopefully this Spring.

So with all of that out of the way, my load calc done by my installer at the time came out to me needing 4.5 tons. I'm pretty sure that's based on heating needs and not cooling as our heating season is longer than the cooling season.

Is it OK to do things such as reduce the CFM settings on the air handler to more exactly match the air flow requirements and load calculations? Given my setup, are there any settings in the thermostat that I should be looking at changing to better optimize my system? I'm not looking to do this on whim as I'm not trying to destroy a very expensive system by playing around with it. I will definitely discuss these options with my contractor, and don't mind paying for such service as liability insurance so to speak. He admittedly isn't very experienced with the newer communicating equipment and pretty much let it be plug and play. So I'm reaching out to the fine folks on this forum to maybe give me some guidance. The only thing I've done myself is to lower the heat pump cut off point to 20 deg. since I'm getting a special heat pump electric rate from my utility company. My primary objective is to optimize my system for when I'm finished with my weatherization projects. I'm sure I'll be over sized when all said and done, but what's done is done and I'm just looking to make the best of it.

Comments (20)