SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Help with work-related sleep problems

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

I know I'll get good advice here....TIA.

I am an admin asst in a small dept in a large org. Without going into detail, suffice it to say that things have transpired in the last several years that I just can't seem to get past and have left me feeling bitter and resentful in spite of my best efforts to curtail these feelings. It does not involve not getting a promotion or similar situation.

I have no problem falling asleep, but wake up several times a night to go to the bathroom and when I do, that's when my sleeplessness starts. I start rehashing incidents and conversations over and over again and just can't fall back to sleep or I'll doze off for a bit until I need to get up again to go and it starts all over again.

Now, my rational daytime self knows the following:

1. It's just a stupid job and Sooooo unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
2. I can't change anything so why worry about it.
3. Just go in, do the job and go home.
4. Put blinders on and try to ignore the nonsense.
5. Im retiring next year and none of it will matter then and people everywhere go through the same thing on the job, so get over it...etc.

But my nighttime 3 am self just can't seem to let things go and I toss and turn and get little sleep.

It's hard to move around in the org so no chance of moving to another dept and since I plan to retire it doesn't make sense. Won't help to talk to my boss because she is part of the problem.

What's worse is now I am beginning to fear that even 5 years into retirement I will still be dwelling on these things.

Your thoughts /ideas on how to overcome this?

Comments (18)