SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christen7

Double plywood subfloor for travertine??

christen7
15 years ago

We haved decided to go with honed, filled travertine for our remodel-thanks to everyone over in the kitchen forum for their input, it is much appreciated.

I have been reading info regarding the installation. I have read that a double layer of plywood subfloor is necessary in addition to the concrete board. This is the first I've heard of this and I've been to MANY, MANY, tile/flooring stores.

My GC didn't mention this at all but feels anything (porcelain, stone etc.) bigger than a 12x12 is going to crack. How's that for gloom and doom?? He is against the travertine, the 16x16 size we have chosen, the fact that we want it laid diagonally,etc, etc, etc. We are growing weary of the struggles and his advice is now starting to appear more as what will make his life easier...(sorry, had to vent for a moment)

Now I'm thoroughly confused...I haven't done a technical measurement but can only imagine how much higher my floors will be compared to the adjacent rooms. Right now we have horrible tile placed directly onto subfloor without any green board/concrete board. We have experienced cracked tiles and crumbling grout. I assumed this was due to the lack of green board and not a structural/joist issue. I'm getting very worried since we have only 2 weeks at most before floors are installed.

HELP!!

Comments (2)