SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evdryst_gw

Travertine installation, questions

15 years ago

I am doing a travertine installation in the master bath (GC will do underfloor heating and getting the floor tile-ready, I will do tiling myself). There is an existing plywood subfloor of ¾". On that weÂre getting NuHeat, cable installation with a self-leveling compound. The GC said that if we mix some kind of latex (I donÂt know the brand, but he said you can buy at Home Depot for $12 a bag) into the SLC itÂll make it largely waterproof. He also said that just the ¾" plywood and SLC is enough of a subfloor for 18x18 travertine installation. Is all of this true? My hubbie and I considered putting a layer of Schleuter-Ditra over the SLC (for waterproofing and anti-fracture), but the GC said that is unnecessary. IÂd like to believe him because it will keep the floor height down, but I just want to make sure.

I also have a few questions concerning the tile job: The travertine is tumbled, but looks filled. It's also pretty dark, for travertine (a caramel color). Someone told me that itÂs a good idea to seal the tiles before I even start with the (white) thinset installation and then again before I grout. Is this necessary? Do I need sanded/unsanded grout (grey colour)? What size trowel do I need with the 18x18 tiles? Square or v-shaped? How about with the 12x12 travertine tiles (on the wall)?

Lots of questions. Thanks in advance for any answers/comments/advice.

Elma

Comments (5)