SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heatherinohio_gw

Appealing your insurance company? LONG

heatherinohio
14 years ago

I am wondering if anyone here has sent an appeal to their health insurance company. Back in October my 12 year old son became sick over night. While he was completely fine when he went to bed, he woke up with a sore throat and a fever of 103. By lunch time he was in bed crying. Honestly, with all of the talk of the H1N1 virus, I was afraid. It was during the weekend, on a Sunday. So taking him to our family doctor wasn't an option. We moved recently and we are quite a bit closer to other hospitals than the one we have been going to for the last several years. So, I decided to go to one of the closer hospitals. This hospital is one that was in network for us a few years back, so I assumed that would still be the case. Just to be sure, I called that hospital and asked if my insurance was in their network. We have United Health Care. So my question was "I have United Health Care. If I would bring my son to your emergency room would he be in network there?" The operator looked it up and said "Yes, your insurance is an in network provider with our hospital." So I took him there. We were there MAYBE 45 minutes. He saw 1 doctor who told us that he simply had a sore throat and sent us home with a prescription. About a month later I received a bill from the hospital for $245 and another bill from the doctor for a little over $200. My insurance company paid 75% of the doctor bill leaving me with a balance of $69. They didn't touch the ER bill saying that it was out of network and would be applied towards our yearly deductibles. I called and explained what had happened that day and I was told "You have to specify that you are United Health Care FOR RAILROAD." I have NEVER been told this before. It doesn't say that on my insurance card or on any of the papers they send me. I have fought with several people over this since then and the bill was sent back through for "review" and it was denied again last week. The lady who told me this said "You can write out an appeal and mail it in." Isn't that basically what just happened? And it was denied again. Will it do me any good at all to even attempt to appeal this? I am frustrated about this. I am stuck with a bill for over $300 now, that would have been paid in full if I would have went to a hospital that was "In network" though I feel like I did what I was supposed to do in order to make sure that I would be in network that day.

Have you ever sent an appeal in to your insurance company? And if so, did you have any luck at all with it?

TIA

Heather

Comments (13)