SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peregrinekt

run-in with insurance company!

peregrinekt
19 years ago

So, I finally bought my house, which I had been renting. while renting I planted a meadow in the front yard, with a native grass/flower mix and I plugged and seeded with other native species. It's now a few years old and looking pretty good, actual flowers are big enough to look like something...asters, black-eyed susans, goldenrods, milkweeds, butterflyweeds... It's a small area, maybe 80' x 20' divided in 2 by the path to my front door, and backed by my vegetable and perennial gardens. I short mow about 2 lawnmower widths around the edge so it looks like it's there on purpose and I have some paths to get around.

about a month after the closing I got a letter from the insurance company:

"An inspection was recently done at your home by **** insurance company. Photos were taken and they show your yard as being overgrown. They are requesting that the yard be cut within 30 days to avoid possible cancellation"

Well, I called around and found out there is no new weed ordinance in my town, wrote a big letter about the benefits of reducing lawn and native plants, wrote up a species list of plants, outlined my maintenance schedule, got it all set to go. Called my agent and asked him about the policy about overgrown yards and he said "really? you're kidding right? I'll take care of it" and he called them off. so it looks like it was just scare tactics. But I thought it was kind of funny in a sort of insurance company conspiracy theory kind of way. I wonder what they would have done had my yard been all marigolds and impatiens?

anyone else get anything like this?

Comments (11)

Sponsored