SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Sewing Room Progress; picture heavy

caroline94535
15 years ago

The sewing room is now almost "useable." I'm so pleased with the progress I may re-christen it "The Ladies' Parlour." My neighbor, Margie, and I have already had tea in here.

I still do not have the doors painted and rehung. The windows, trim, and baseboards will need at least one more coat of paint. The loveseat will either be slip-covered to coordinate with the lilac wall color, or be moved back into the livingroom and be replaced with two small club or wing chairs for this room.

But anyway...here's the evolution of the northeast corner of the sewing room. These photos are taken from the door to the hallway.

In the beginning...there was a mess and it was not good.

The 1970s yellow shag carpeting has been pulled up and we were in the process of scraping the glue and rubbery pad off of the original white oak hardwood floors.

In this photo the old single pane windows have been replaced. The east-facing window was lengthened and the floors have been striped and sanded, and sanded, and sanded...

First coats of paint (Dutch Boy's Lilac Vapor), but still no trim work.

Construction inspector. I have several bird feeders hung in the tree just outside this window. Harry and I both enjoy watching the birds and squirrels from this window.

The white cabinet is a temporary solution to hold crafting supplies until I find the "perfect" vintage buffet/hutch for this room. I want to paint it white and use it for storage and as a bookcase.

Southeast corner to the right of the long window. Once I find the large buffet/hutch I want, this chest may move down to the basement bedroom.

You can also see some boxes "cleverly" (LOL) hidden behind the chest. I have five large boxes of books waiting for their new home. I pulled the chest out, stacked the boxes in the corner and angled the chest to "hide" them for now. Once the books are unpacked I'll hang the picture. Right now it's just perched on top of the boxes.

Everything is still in the planning stages and waiting for the storage hutch.

Storage Chest in limbo. Would it be total sacrilege to paint this chest white to match the future buffet/hutch? The finish is shot; it's showing its 100 years of age and two cross-country moves. It's walnut veneer over oak. Structurally it's very sound, hold a tons of stuff, and is as solid as a rock. The...

Comments (15)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor