SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
positively_patty

Where and how to put wood flooring help please

positively_patty
9 years ago

This is basically our house plan. We would like to put in wood. Right now the flooring is all tile. We live in AZ and the tile does cool things off, it seems better for all the dust we get and we already have to it so keeping as much as we can will save money.

I would like to put in wood in the areas I have shaded brown. We won't be floating it. The questions come with that hallway. All the areas I have a question about are still in white.

To the left of the living room is a short step/ledge. That ledge is easy to have a transition from wood to tile. Not really worried about keeping tile there.

The first question I have is what do you think about keeping the tile in the white space? I talked to our realtor who we just bought the house from. She said she thought as long as the wood is similar in color and shade to the tile then we should be ok. I still worry.

The other questions I have to deal with are if the tile is not going to work then just how to we lay the wood? Do we go all horizontal? All vertical? Or do we need to turn it in some way in each of the green triangle areas? And if we turn it then do we miter it and make a diagonal line or what?

One other question. should the wood on one side of the ledge be a different direction than on the other side?

Comments (4)