SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue_ct

Uneven subloor in a 3/4' unfinished Hardwood floor install

sue_ct
16 years ago

I am posting this as a new question because I was afraid it would get missed otherwise, and I am really hoping for a quick response.

OK, more problems with the floor being out of flat now in the kitchen. I want to address this now and NOT tear it out later. There is a 3/8" dip over a 5' span in the subfloor. No gap between the subfloor and the joists that I can see that would allow me to put shims in from below to try to level it. I believe there is simply a small dip in the joists there.

Can I fill the dip with something like asphalt roofing tiles, or since I may not have enough of those in the basement, inexpensive peel and stick vinyl tiles in 2-3 layers in the deepest portion of the dip, then 2 or 1 layer and then none as the dip comes back up again? I could purchase only as many as I needed of the vinyl tiles, and the adhesive might make it more stable. I would then use screws if necessary to fasten them to the subfloor and nail the hardwood right over them and into the sublfloor below, using long boards that span the entire distance? Or I could purchase more asphalt roofing shingles if it would really be preferable for some reason. I am using 2" L cleats and a pneumatic nailer to install the hardwood. Or should I just use the long boards and allow them to conform to the dip in the subfloor and resign myself to having to live with a less than perfect floor in an older home?

By the way, I was told roofing felt was no longer used under hardwood because it leads to dry rot, although I have no idea why. I do want to make sure roofing tiles or vinyl would not cause a similar problem.

Sue

Comments (8)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012