SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txbluebonnet11

Sap Hickory Flooring vs. White Oak Flooring

TXBluebonnet11
10 years ago

I'm torn on making a decision for our downstairs flooring (kitchen, living room, dining room, etc). It will be solid hardwood over a concrete slab, using sleepers to assure the correct installation. I want the floor to be uniform in color, finished in a medium/dark brown with a slight reddish tone. The planks will be 4" wide. Here are my thoughts so far:

Walnut: I love the grain, but I had difficulty achieving the warm medium brown with slight reddish tone I was looking for. Even the select grade seemed to have streaks of the lighter sapwood, which my husband said he cannot live with. Walnut is also a softer wood.

Hickory: I love the grain, but I don't like the color variation between the heart and sapwood. I found a mill that can produce all sapwood for me. So I thought I'd found the best of all worlds until I found out that hickory (although hard) is less stable than the other woods. It has a tendency to absorb humidity more than some of the other woods, which means it is more likely to buckle or have spaces between the boards. Some people report problems with this.

White Oak: I was leaning towards the quarter sawn/rift variety but my husband doesn't like the quarter sawn and he thinks that the rift sawn is too plain. The regular grain is ok, but just seems blah. But this is the safe option.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with a solid hardwood hickory flooring? Has it expanded and contracted noticeably with weather and humidity changes? Any other feedback is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

Comments (10)