SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blyhoutz

Help! Water Based Finish vs Swedish Finish on White Oak Floor

blyhoutz
3 years ago

We are looking at 6" character grade rift and quartered white oak flooring, finished on site. We have a TON of flooring so this is a massive portion of our budget and have talked to multiple installer/finishers to get quotes. At the distributor's warehouse they had samples of water vs oil based finish and we really liked the water based finish. We are going for a "natural" look with a tinge of brown in it. Some installers are really pushing the Swedish finish over the water based. I don't like to argue with pro's but I'm finding it frustrating.. Any suggestions for me to say why else I want the water based (besides the look). Is there a significant price difference between a Swedish Finish and the Bona Traffic HD? (We have 2 very different bids so far) A contractor we are interviewing said they almost never do water based finishes and they aren't as lasting as swedish and didn't seem to know about the Bona Traffic (granted he is the gc and we haven't met his hardwood installer so I plan to ask him when we meet). We do not want the floor to yellow/orange. (We have a 50 lb dog, 2 toddlers, and we are one might say we are "hard" on our floors, though we do No Shoes on in the house) Also- any input on doing white painted risers vs Wood risers? We currently have the risers the same as the flooring but like the look of the white painted risers... INSIGHT, ADVICE, TIPS, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Pics from the distributor to show us what 6" character grade rift and quartered white oak flooring looks like.

Comments (5)