SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotkight

Hardwood, a door and the top of the stairs

scotkight
10 years ago

I am putting 3/4" hardwood into my bedroom and the main hallway in my townhouse. The bedroom is in the back of the house, and the hallway runs about 15ft straight to the front of my house from my room.

Joists run side to side in the house and the bedroom had the longest straightest wall so i started there. Going from the back to the front of the house, and the door is on the "front" of my room.

If I stand in the doorway of my room I look down the hallway to the front of my house, no turns or anything (Im ending it with a reducer to the carpet in the other bedrooms rooms). If I look directly to my right, I have my stairs.

I'm a bit confused as to how to match the wood in the room to the hall and to the stairs. I could put a piece in the doorway as a "stop" to the wood in the room, then put a spline in the bullnose and run backwards? I'd end up having to cut the boards short when they hit the other side of the hallway which I thought was a bad idea (would be difficult to make everything look straight). If I go from the long hallway wall to the stairs, how would I mate the wood with the bullnose? I think I think I'll be an inch or an inch and a half off.

Or should I somehow be continuing the wood directly from the bedroom without the stop/header piece?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!